Technical Support
 UE4 enum keyword in macro not coloring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kresjah

2 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  11:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When creating Unreal Engine 4 C++ macros Visual Assist fails to give the parameters (which are primarily based on enums) the correct colors.

This used to work, but stopped after I uninstalled Visual Assist (after ended trial) and later reinstalled Visual Assist (after purchasing key). I am fairly new to both Visual Studio and Visual Assist, so I have tried googling for tips on how to get this working. I was unable to find anything that specifically mentions this, and the info on Google that might be related (i.e. trying to rebuild Intellisense databases and such) as mostly geared at older version of Visual Studio. The Visual Studio version I have installed (Community 2017) seems to have changed around shortcuts and folder locations so I can't figure out how to resolve this.

Here's a random example from the web on how it is supposed to look. The Unreal Engine wiki wouldn't let me direct link the image, so here's a link to the image page:
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/File:Ue4-snippet-pasted.png

And this is how it looks like on my computer now:

Notice how in the UCLASS macro on the first image the parameters are purple, whereas in the second image from my computer the parameters are white. I have verified in the options that enums are supposed to be purple, and I have made sure the current code builds properly.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  2:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently VA is not trying to apply syntax colouring to the parameters of the U* macro calls, as explained here:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W804

Do you have any idea of which version of VA you were using before? I am not sure why this has changed for you.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  5:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA stopped coloring parameters of U* macro calls starting in build 2248 case=109053 per https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W404#2248 . Apparently it was confusing that sometimes they were colored incorrectly.
Go to Top of Page

Kresjah

2 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  8:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess that explains it. Don't know what version I used when I was still under the free trial (a pre-2248 I guess), but having uninstalled it for a while after the trial ended and just downloaded it for reinstalling means I am now running 2258.5.

Hadn't noticed that part of the changelog, and nothing turned up when I searched (wrong search terms I guess). I'll just have to live with that then. Shame it isn't an option so that those confused about it could turn that off specifically, or those preferring it despite the occasional hiccup could specifically turn it on again.

Thanks for the answers.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2018 :  10:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that change should have been optional. case=115156
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 01 2018 :  5:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=115156 is implemented in build 2270 -- see the new Unreal Engine page in the VA Options dialog.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000