C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfc;

IDE:
Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017
Version 15.5.5
VisualStudio.15.Release/15.5.5+27130.2026

Reproduce Steps:
- File->New->Project, Visual C++\Windows Desktop\Windows Console Application. Project should be using Windows SDK 10.0.16299.0 by default.
- In the main cpp file, paste the following under #include "stdafx.h"
#include <winsdkver.h>
#include <windows.h>
#include <Windows.Foundation.h>
#include <Windows.Networking.Proximity.h>
#include <Windows.System.Threading.h>
#include <windows.devices.sensors.h>

- And the crash soon follows. Sometimes I have to put the cursor on windows.devices.sensors.h and hit the VA Go button, but even then it may be a few seconds later.

This is a minimum repro I was able to come up with. In my main project where I discovered this crash, it occurs immediately when tab-completing the windows.devices.sensors.h include. When doing this in a new Windows Console project, just including that header did not trigger a crash. So I added the other preceding headers from my main project and that got a repro.

During one crash, I was given the option to debug (instead of the IDE just restarting itself). The callstack was in valibclang.dll.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

[Edit]I did try Clear and Rebuild, but was still able to reproduce.[/Edit]

Thanks,
gg

Graham C Greene

Edited by - Codeplug on Feb 01 2018 08:49:07 AM

Codeplug

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  10:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disabling Code Inspection seams to resolve the crash.

gg

Graham C Greene
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  4:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the very clear steps to reproduce this crash. This certainly won't be the first time a Code Inspection problem has led to a crash. Strangely though, I cannot reproduce the crash here, and I have tried on two different systems.

I have the same version of VA, I have tried both Windows 7 and Windows 10, and I have followed your clear instructions carefully. But no sign of any problems.

Could you please send me a copy of your test solution, that triggers the crash on your system? Also could you include your VA and IDE settings? I would like to reproduce this crash here if possible, since it will make it easier to investigate it and get it fixed.

Can you please export your VA and IDE settings via:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Codeplug

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2018 :  6:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I loaded up ConsoleApplication3 (I repro'd my steps 3 times before), re-enabled Code Inspection, and of course it would not repro. I hit Go on all headers, used VA find symbols dialog, etc.

Then I started typing in new headers: "#include <windows.devices." and tab completion on "windows.devices.adc.h" crashed twice in a row right then.

On the third attempt - no crash. Fooled around for a while with no luck and eventually starting adding more headers: "windows.devices.alljoyn.h", "windows.devices.backgroud.h", "windows.devices.bluetooth." - and finally got a third repro after tab completing "windows.devices.bluetooth.h".

I stopped at the 3rd repro (again) and uploaded the requested files. Hopefully they will be helpful.

gg

Graham C Greene
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2018 :  10:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the files, thank you for these. Unfortunately, still no sign at all of the problem here. I am starting to wonder if something else on your system is a factor, but I am not sure what.

Which anti-virus are you using? It's possible that anti-virus could effect VA and code inspection looking at header files. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Are you working on a local solution? All your stable include directories are pointing at C drive, which I assume is local.

Do you have any other extensions installed? I am just looking for clues now.

Next time you get a crash like this, can you try grabbing a mini dump and sending it to us please? Perhaps this will help to pin down what is going wrong here.

Go to Top of Page

Codeplug

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2018 :  10:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No AV and Defender is disabled. Solution and files are local.

Extensions I've installed: CodeBeautifier, Productivity Power Tools 2017, Code alignment, Trailing Whitespace Visualizer, Fix Mixed Tabs

I repro'd with WinDbg attached and did a ".dump /m". That dump has been uploaded. Let me know if you would like me to use more aggressive (larger) .dump options.

gg

Graham C Greene
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2018 :  2:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to reproduce this with these extensions installed, I have run into a couple of interesting things. Firstly, if I search for "Fix Mixed Tabs", I get this extension:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=NoahRichards.FixMixedTabs

however, this only installs for VS2010 to VS2013, it doesn't offer VS2017 as an install target. Do you know if you downloaded and installed a different version of this extension? Or if you are using an edited version that has been told it supports VS2017?

Secondly, after installing the rest of these extensions, with your settings already applied, I installed "Productivity Power Tools" last, just because of the order of files. Now, every time I load VS2017 I get a message from "Productivity Power Tools" telling me that the following list of extensions were installed, and asking me if I want to restart Visual Studio now. If I say yes, the next restart shows the same message. If I cancel out of the message, everything seems to work normally.

Still no sign of any crash or stability problem though.

Go to Top of Page

Codeplug

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2018 :  08:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's this one: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioProductTeam.FixMixedTabs

That is part of Productivity Power Tools, but Fix Mixed Tabs was installed first. I did not run into extension install weirdness.

I disabled all the extensions (except VA), and now it doesn't want to repro for me. When I get some spare time I'll try to repro after enabling them one by one.

gg

Graham C Greene
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2018 :  10:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will have another go, using this version of the extension. Fingers crossed I can reproduce this here now.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2018 :  3:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing, I have been over this a few times now, with different approaches, but nothing I try will cause a crash, or anything like it.

I fixed the strange message box loop with Power Tools by making sure I had installed all the latest updates for both the IDE and Windows, so even that "clue" has disappeared.

All I am left with is thinking that the specific settings for one of these extensions is important. The description for CodeBeautifier mentioned how it can take various instructions for code formatting, to take an easy example. I was hoping all of these settings would be exported / imported along side the IDE settings, but it does not look like this is happening.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  08:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have the time to run some tests yourself, and your machine is connected to the internet, testing with a separate IDE profile should make your tests a lot easier and "safer", since they won't effect your main profile.

To do this, close all instances of the IDE and then run the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

hopefully this is the correct path for your VS2017 install. When you do this, you will be asked what settings you want to use with and for this new, default profile. None of your extensions will be installed, since this is a new profile. You will be able to install extensions by searching the online extensions in the:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

dialog, which is why being online matters. All of the extensions you are using are coming up in the search results for me, so this should not be a problem. If you can reproduce the crashes in a new profile, I would be very interested in the steps you take, and the settings you use.

To return to your default profile, simply load the IDE without any command line parameters.

In the meantime, I will ask our developers if they can make anything of the mini dump.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000