Navigate to changed lines?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bruceoberg

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2018 :  6:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am often editing a large source file, but only making changes in a couple areas. If these areas are far apart, navigating between them can be a chore, especially if they are not at the start of a function or class/struct.

I would like a couple commands for making this navigation easier. "Next Change" and "Prev Change" would move the view (or cursor) to the next/prev set of lines in the file that have changed. It would work similarly to the next/prev change operation in difference programs (e.g. beyond compare).

I've asked for this from the msvs folks, and never heard back. Perhaps this would be an easy feature for you guys? I used to use several editors (e.g. Source Insight) that had this feature, and I wish I had it within msvs.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  10:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few methods that are already available to do something like this.

First there are IDE bookmarks, set a bookmark at each place you are working, and jump between them.

Then there is VA View:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W222

if you right click in the top section you can turn On "Include modified methods", which will track methods you have recently modified, letting you jump back to these.

My next thought would be to use VA Hashtags, if you are going to be working in a few specific spots for any length of time. You could just add something like #EditingHere in a comment to both spots, and then use alt-g on the tag to jump between instances of the tag.

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W574

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

MikMik

42 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  05:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are using Git, you can use another extension, GitDiffMargin, which includes commands to go to NextChange and PreviousChange (changes since last commit). It's very handy! (not affiliated with them, just a happy user)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000