Feature Requests
 VA Outline Updating Request
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

korku

6 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2017 :  5:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently VA Outline can automatically update, or only when it gains focus. But it will always show the file you've currently got open (last focused). It'd be really nice if I could choose to have it specifically update for one file - as if I 'pin' the file.

Use case: Creating a child of a larger class, selecting functions to override. Copying function(s) from the base class to paste into the child class results in the outline changing to show the child class.

Also this might enable VA Outline to show functions in one file that you want to use for operations in another. Such as overriding them, or grabbing their signature.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2017 :  06:27:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA Outline isn't really designed to do this, but we do have other tools that are designed to help in these situations. First of all, for creating a child class, are you aware of the Implement Interface / Virtual Methods refactoring command:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W165

Trigger this on the child class, and you can select all of the virtual methods that you want to override in one go, and VA will create both the declarations and implementations for you.

For seeing functions in another file, are you thinking of working on a specific class and its members, or free functions that are not members of a class? If you are interested in the members of a specific class, then the bottom section of VA View, the Hovering Class Browser, may well be what you are looking for here:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W222

If you show VA View, then place keyboard focus back into the editor, and now hover the mouse over the class of interest, then the details of this class will be shown in the HCB, and you can pin this view, to keep this class showing, as you work on a different class.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2017 :  10:27:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goto related (Alt+Shift+G) can also be a good way to show and even filter the members of a class.
https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W515

Edited by - accord on Nov 23 2017 10:28:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

korku

6 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2017 :  1:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, seems like Implement Interface is exactly what I wanted!

My suggestion for another use for "pinning" the outline wasn't from a specific need, but I'll reply again if I can harden that with a use case.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2017 :  1:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The idea is that VA Outline shows the current file, so its not something we are looking to pin at the moment. So if you think of an interesting use case, it will be interesting to see what you are looking to do.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000