New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

syedhs

Malaysia
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2017 :  03:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I downloaded VAx as trial, and then noticed that most of the buttons are black. So far I can only guess, eg the rightmost button is OK. But the rest of the 'black buttons' I dont know.

syedhs

Malaysia
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2017 :  03:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On second thought, I tried to reset the VS2015 'black theme'back to 'light theme' but they are still black. No change whatsoever.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2017 :  06:15:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's rather strange, but the screen shot shows the problem very clearly.

The screen shot looks like Windows 10. If you go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

are you able to see the "Copy Info" button? With VS2015 set to a dark theme, this dialog is not coloured, so comes up with a pale background for me. If you are not seeing the buttons in this dialog either, once you have selected the "System Info" node, Alt-C will copy the VA about information to your clipboard.

Can you please paste these details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

If you load Notepad, what colour scheme does it have? Dark like the IDE, or white? I am wondering if you have changed the Windows global colour scheme, or perhaps you are using a program to alter the colour scheme, for example Stardock Window Blinds.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

syedhs

Malaysia
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2017 :  08:09:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I can see the Copy Info button. Below is the content:-

License: trial
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2237.0 built 2017.10.03
DevEnv.exe version 14.0.25420.1 Community
msenv.dll version 14.0.25425.1
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.15063.0
Windows 10 10.0 Build 15063
4 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x4409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\include;
E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\NETFXSDK\4.6\include\um;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\crt\src;
E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\atl;
E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfc;
E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\INCLUDE;
E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\ATLMFC\INCLUDE;

The dark color is only on my VS2015 (I set it to dark theme). The rest of the windows is pretty standard. Yes it is windows 10.
And so far, there is no 'unusual' software installed here..

Notepad also looks pretty much 'usual' ie it looks windows stock app to me.

Edited by - syedhs on Nov 14 2017 08:11:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2017 :  11:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the about information. I have basically the same setup here, yet no sign of this problem.

Have you restarted the IDE yet? If not, can you please try this, and see if it makes any difference?

Do you have any extensions installed that might effect the themes and colours?

If you go back to the Open File in Solution dialog or the Find Symbol dialog, does typing filter the list? If you select a file or symbol, and then press Enter, are you taken to the file or symbol that you selected? I am wondering if the buttons / dialogs are working correctly, even though the buttons are not showing.

Are you working with a single monitor, or multiple monitors? Are you running with a high DPI screen? I am looking for anything that might be a big different about your situation, that might give me a clue.

Are you working locally, or connecting via some form of remote desktop connection?

Have you tried rebooting your machine, to see if this makes any difference?

In the IDE Options dialog, under Environment -> General, do you have any of:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> General -> Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance
IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> General -> Enable rich client visual experience
IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> General -> Use hardware graphics acceleration if available

turned On, and if so, which ones? Does turning these off or on make any difference?

Go to Top of Page

syedhs

Malaysia
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2017 :  03:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you restarted the IDE yet? If not, can you please try this, and see if it makes any difference?
No difference.

Do you have any extensions installed that might effect the themes and colours?
No, but I have f-lux installed in my windows. Closing it does not change anything.

If you go back to the Open File in Solution dialog or the Find Symbol dialog, does typing filter the list? If you select a file or symbol, and then press Enter, are you taken to the file or symbol that you selected? I am wondering if the buttons / dialogs are working correctly, even though the buttons are not showing.
Yes typing something in the Find Symbol dialog does filter the list. The buttons are working but they all showed up black.

Are you working with a single monitor, or multiple monitors? Are you running with a high DPI screen? I am looking for anything that might be a big different about your situation, that might give me a clue.
Single monitor, definitely the normal type monitor you can find anywhere - so nothing special here..

Are you working locally, or connecting via some form of remote desktop connection?
Work locally..

Have you tried rebooting your machine, to see if this makes any difference?
I have rebooted countless of times..

In the IDE Options dialog, under Environment -> General, do you have any of:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> General -> Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance
IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> General -> Enable rich client visual experience
IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> General -> Use hardware graphics acceleration if available

turned On, and if so, which ones? Does turning these off or on make any difference?
Yes all of them are turned on. Turning them all off and restarting the IDE makes no difference.

Edited by - syedhs on Nov 16 2017 03:55:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2017 :  11:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of this seems fairly normal, which unfortunately does not offer any clues. Can you please close all instances of the IDE, and then use Windows Key + R to open the "Run" dialog, and run the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

this will launch VS2015 with a new, default profile. Can you then go into the:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

dialog and search for "Visual Assist" in the online gallery, since VA won't be installed in this new profile. When you are asked to reload the IDE, please just close the IDE, and then use the same command to launch VS2015 with the same command line parameters.

Do you see the same problem in this new profile, or are the buttons in the VA dialogs drawn correctly?

I am working on the theory that there is something, either from another extension, or in your IDE settings that is causing this problem. If so, this new profile should avoid the problem.

To load the default profile for VS2015 just load the IDE as you do normally, and you will be taken to your normal profile and settings.

Go to Top of Page

syedhs

Malaysia
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2017 :  7:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

TQVM.. the buttons are now appearing okay.

I think it is probably due to PVS Studio extension - I am not exactly sure about this because the best way to confirm it is
1) Have VS2015 with VA black buttons
2) Uninstall, and then restart
3) Now VA black buttons vanished - I cannot do this anymore! lol.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2017 :  07:16:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is related to the PVS Studio extension, then simply installing PVS Studio is not enough to trigger this problem.

Starting with a clean Windows 10 machine, VA has never been installed, I installed VA 2238.2, and then I installed the current version of PVS-Studio, 6.19. I have loaded VS2015 with both extensions installed and active, and I have tried both the Blue and the Dark themes in the IDE, and the VA buttons are always showing correctly for me.

It is possible another extension you have installed is also required to trigger this effect. Or it could somehow be setting related If you want to test and explore this, the VATest profile, created with the command line switch to VS2015 is a good way of testing this. The main restriction is that you need to install extensions from the Online extension gallery, rather than via local installers.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000