Longer term personal licenses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kfsone

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  3:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been buying VA licenses yearly since 2011 so I can use it at home on things (used to use my hotmail address). The general pattern is that I get 4-6 weeks of use out of it and then whatever I was working on at home turns into an actual work project and I don't use it again until 13 months later.

Right now I need a license for a few months so I can do some out-of-hours skunkworkx to resurrect my employer's Windows Build so our new developers can get back to working in MSVS, and... of course: "(Non-renewable license) Support ends 2017.08.07". Grr. Obviously, once it gets close enough, I'll have them buy a company license, but right now it's a purely guerrilla project.

Could we, please, get some way to buy longer-term licenses, even if it's not discounted? Or make it subscription based so I can pay for the months I use it or something?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18726 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2017 :  12:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can continue to use your current license and version of VA. The only restriction with your license having expired is that you can no longer use the latest build of VA, but the license is still valid for any build of VA where required support is before 2017.08.07.

Your license allows you to run any build up to and including VA 2223, which can be downloaded from here:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W404

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

kfsone

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2017 :  5:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, feline, but the core of my question was this:

"Could we, please, get some way to buy longer-term licenses, even if it's not discounted?"

I'd rather pay $300 for a 3 year upgrade license than have to pay $99 every year for 3 years.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18726 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2017 :  08:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't something we normally offer. Out of interest, is there any particular reason you want to do this?

Go to Top of Page

Jeff
Whole Tomato Software

USA
260 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2017 :  12:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kfsone:
Your request for $300 for three years is certainly reasonable but unfortunately, not one we offer. All of our licenses allow perpetual use and include one year of updates.

If you use Visual Assist infrequently, you might disable auto-notification of new builds in the options dialog of Visual Assist. Just use the latest build included with your license.
Go to Top of Page

kfsone

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2017 :  8:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The short version is that it boils down to, frequently MSVS-update induced, bursts of "garage dev" that meet a lot of inertia to wallet opening. Typically I've got 30-90 days of MSVS trial to muck about with, which is "too soon" to spend another $99 on VAX just yet. Then once the trial ends, the downgrade to community and N weeks of "I've managed so far", at which point it comes down to the "how much longer will this last" stretch where it's even harder to open the wallet :)

It's that "latest MSVS compatability" that I care about most at the start.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18726 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2017 :  12:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thought, just keep on using the last version of VA, and the IDE it supports. Unless what you are doing is specifically tied to new features, this should work for you, and doesn't cost anything.

Go to Top of Page

kfsone

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2017 :  6:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@feline Upgrading code bases to employ new language/tech features is one of the reasons people hire me and I can afford to spend $99 each year. My first VA purchase was in 2012 (5HR71574L3972514H), and I've re-bought every year for 5 years (different email addresses, depending on which of my extra addresses is my 'shopping spam' mailbox for the year)

I should really buy myself a standard license, but again it's buyer inertia. I don't want to pay less $, just have to open the wallet less often.

Edited by - kfsone on Oct 19 2017 6:46:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000