New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2017 :  5:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to specify the 'type' I want filtered by in the search dialog. i.e.:

foo bar type:enum

and have it not only pare down to symbols with 'foo' and 'bar' in the name, but are also limited to only enums.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2017 :  1:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering adding this feature at some point:

case=5031

For now, you can also use "-zee" to filter out all symbol names containing "zee", to help narrow down your search by name.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2017 :  1:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

We are considering adding this feature at some point:

case=5031

For now, you can also use "-zee" to filter out all symbol names containing "zee", to help narrow down your search by name.

Cool - I love the -zee feature: which reminds me, and is probably obvious: the "type:enum" feature would benefit from similarly having a "-type:enum" equivalent.

Can't wait to check it out.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2017 :  2:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is filtering out a given type something you are likely to need to do? We haven't settled on a plan yet for how this feature might work. This syntax is flexible and powerful, but not something you will discover by accident, and if you don't use it all the time, you are unlikely to remember it. So I am torn on this approach.

Go to Top of Page

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2017 :  3:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Is filtering out a given type something you are likely to need to do? We haven't settled on a plan yet for how this feature might work. This syntax is flexible and powerful, but not something you will discover by accident, and if you don't use it all the time, you are unlikely to remember it. So I am torn on this approach.

That's a fair question, and the short answer is, "I'm not entirely sure". Probably the best option would be to have the "filter in" first, and see if filter out is necessary.

Right now the filter in is most important since sometimes I *know* I'm looking for an enum, or what have you, but the name is super common, so it's tedious to weed through types I *know* are wrong. I was supposing there is a case where you want all ints, floats, doubles, etc, but don't care about strings, or what have you, but I don't have a concrete use case for that yet.
Go to Top of Page

Adequat
Tomato Guru

182 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2017 :  01:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Though the current search system is already excellent, I like the original idea to filter by category, class/enum/function/namespace/variable...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2017 :  09:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your view, I have put a note on the case that this is also what you are looking for.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000