Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tony.riviere
Ketchup Master

France
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  10:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

it would be interesting to have the syntax coloration available for the Output window in case of compilation errors or even link errors.
Since it can be quite verbose especially with template errors, it would be more readable to have coloration.

Thanks.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  11:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried turning on:

VA Options -> Highlighting -> Highlight solution file paths in build output window (C/C++)

this will help a bit.

Beyond this, are you familiar with the Error window? I have never worked out why the IDE seems to bury this window, but it is designed to show you the build errors and warnings.

find it via:
IDE View menu -> Other Windows -> Error List

or
IDE View menu -> Error List

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tony.riviere
Ketchup Master

France
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2017 :  04:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use both Error List & Output windows when looking at compilation errors.

I agree Error List is sufficient most of the time for "small" errors (missing ';', etc...). And for those kind of errors, the syntax coloration would be a plus but not a must have.

However, when it comes to template errors, the Error List isn't sufficient anymore because it shows only the first line of the error, but not its context (the callers). In such case, we have to go through the Output window and read the dozens of lines of errors. Here the syntax coloration would be really helpful for better readability.

"Highlight solution file paths in build output window" is turned on by default and yes it helps.

Since you talk about the Error List, may I extend the feature request to have syntax coloration in Error List too?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2017 :  10:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately we don't have any current plans to colour the output list any more than we already do. However a quick search threw up this, which sounds like it already does exactly what you are looking for here:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=NikolayBalakin.Outputenhancer

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000