ALT-TAB for functions:History of visited functions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JochenBaier

6 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  4:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "ALT-TAB" (switching between used functions) for Visual Studio:

If often jump from on function to on other (using F12 or ALT-G), or using the ALT-SHIFT-F, or searching etc.

So i had the idea to visualize the recorded way points. Probably with the granularity of function so no way-points inside a function.

For example ALT-SHIFT-M could show the function history marking the
current function bold:

function_i_was_before()
function_i_am_now()
function_i_was_in_the_future()

with this feature i could directly jump to a function without using navigate back all recorded way-points.

Edited by - JochenBaier on Apr 26 2017 4:05:48 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  4:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you show VA View, and right click in the top section, you can turn on listing Modified methods and files. This is the Most Recently Used list, which is designed to track both functions and files:

https://wholetomato.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W222

Not quite the method you are thinking of, but this should be useful enough.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

JochenBaier

6 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  12:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi feline,

MRU comes close but: it is only populated using the the VA View not by movements in code,
it contains all kind of symbols which makes it hard to read, the VA View must be always visible which occupies a lot of space, the entries are only selectable by first letter and not with incremental search (like ALT-M)

Jochen

Edited by - JochenBaier on Apr 27 2017 12:33:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  3:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anything that marks out the functions you want to jump back to? Are these functions you are editing? Just functions you are reviewing? Tracking all functions you move through, to a depth of X, is all well and good, but if you only want 2 or 3 out of 20 functions, then this list seems like it is providing a fair bit of visual overhead.

Personally, when I want to jump between two or three specific functions, since I am investigating something, I either use IDE bookmarks - works well in a single file, or VA Hashtags, since you can use Alt-g on the tags to jump between instances of the same tag. But I don't know how well this idea will work of scale for what you are doing.

Go to Top of Page

JochenBaier

6 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  3:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its both, reviewing and editing, mostly during finding bugs. So only the depth of 5-10 functions would be interesting.
Bookmarks and hashtags are too much work since it would only be used for seconds or minutes.

An alternative for showing the history as a list would be a keyboard shortcut which jumps to the first waypoint which is not in the current functions. It will jump to the caller of the current function. With such a shortcut i can jump up if i am finished editing a function.

Edited by - JochenBaier on May 01 2017 3:05:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  10:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes sense, and as you say, the other methods are not going to work so well for you. Thinking about this, you may have more than one jump point inside a given function, so the simple solution is to jump to the top / the declaration line, for the function. Is this going to work, or is loosing the actual point in the function where the jump point is located going to matter to you?

Go to Top of Page

JochenBaier

6 Posts

Posted - May 06 2017 :  08:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after thinking about this together with you, I think the got old NavigateBack function will do the job also. So no new functionally needed from my side.

thanks jochen
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - May 06 2017 :  3:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So long as you feel this will do enough to be helpful enough. You have an interesting idea here, but I am not quite sure how it would work in reality.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000