Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Visual Studio 2017 Track Active Document broken?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DaveSwedensky

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  07:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using Visual Studio 2017, if I use Ctrl+Alt+O to select a file (pretty much the only way I work), it doesn't synchronise with the Solution Explorer view. This is true either in "Track Active Document" mode or just clicking the sync button. Files are tracked however if they're selected from solution explorer directly. Tracking continues to fail/work when using window menu once opened too.

Maybe VS2017 changed the way files need to be opened in order to track them properly in the solution explorer? Not sure this is a VisualAssist problem but it manifests using the VisualAssist dialog and not when using VS itself so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks for any help
-Dave

Info:
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2212.0 built 2017.03.23
DevEnv.exe version 15.0.26403.7 Professional
msenv.dll version 15.0.26403.7
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7601.18837
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
8 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x809

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2017 :  4:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tracking in Solution Explorer is working correctly for me, VS2017, VA 2212, and the same patch level of VS2015. I am testing this under Windows 10.

Do you have any other extensions installed?

Have you tried restarting the IDE, to see if this makes a difference?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

DaveSwedensky

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  03:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I doubt it would be because we're on Windows 7 here. It's consistent for me through restarts, reboots, everything. We do generate the solutions using CMake but again I don't see that this would be an issue. The only other extension enabled is Incredibuild, which shouldn't affect anything.

I guess this is a very tricky one to diagnose without debugging VS itself to see what's happening internally. But I'd welcome any ideas on how to try...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  3:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please create a new, default C++ MFC application in VS2017 and see if you still get the problem there? There are enough code files in this default project to test this. It is possible it is something about your system or settings, or it could somehow be related to your generated projects. Hopefully this will tell us which, even if we don't know why.

Another thought, do you have any colleges who are using VA? I am wondering if the effect is machine specific, or if it is being seen across several different machines?

Go to Top of Page

DaveSwedensky

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  12:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried various different combinations now and I think it must have been a corrupt set of projects. New projects don't have the problem and a clean re-creation of the failing set now appears to work. So I'll cautiously put it down to a transient problem and hope it doesn't reappear.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  11:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. Hopefully this is all it was, but please keep an eye out for this, and see if it comes up again. It is possible something is triggering this, and with time we may be able to get a sense of what that something is.

One experiment we could try, if this comes back, is if I could get a copy of just a project file, without any code files, and see if I can reproduce the problem here with a few dummy code files with matching names and paths.

Go to Top of Page

DaveSwedensky

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  06:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly the problem has been there on-and-off for the last couple of months too. I've been a bit too busy to come back to the forum. I've now created a completely new project with no useful code but it exhibits the problem. Full reproduction steps required:
Open VS 2017
Open the solution using File\Open
[Solution Explorer highlights the project itself]
Shift+Alt+O and switch to one of the cpp files in the solution
[Solution Explorer does not change]
Is this something you can reproduce or a bizarre quirk of my setup?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  10:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just double checked, and I am still not seeing the problem here, following your steps.

Do you have a simple test solution that shows this problem that you are able to send me? If so, could you send me the solution and your VA and IDE settings, I can then try the same solution, settings and steps here to see if I can reproduce this effect. Perhaps the difference lies in another setting?

Please export your VA and IDE settings via:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

DaveSwedensky

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2017 :  03:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I've just uploaded the zipfile with a project and my settings exports.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2017 :  10:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the files, many thanks for these.

So far I still cannot reproduce your problem, using VS2017, win 7, your IDE and VA settings, and your solution.

Going back to your first post, you mention "the sync button". What sync button is this? Am I missing something in the IDE? I have looked at the toolbars you have set visible, and double checked the tooltip for every icon shown at the top of Solution Explorer, and I am not finding any sign of a sync button. I have also checked the right click menu in Solution Explorer, and still no sync button. So I am wondering if you have another extension installed that is adding a sync button, and if this might be a factor?

The only other thought I have is that in VA's Open File dialog, you have the check box "Show only files in the current solution" turned Off. If you select one of the files that are not in the solution, then Solution Explorer won't update to show the current file, simply because the current file is not part of the solution. But if I filter the file list down to one of the three code files in the solution and then jump to this file, Solution Explorer does update correctly for me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000