Technical Support
 Navigation breaks occasionally
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mtlroom

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  5:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the main features that I use all the time with VA is navigate forward and navigate backward. VS also has these, and I'm not sure which one I should bind to alt+left/alt+right shortcuts (IMO these should be bound by default like in browsers).

So, not sure if that's VA thing of VS (I'm stuck on Vs2012 for now) but from time to time this navigate forward/backward gets stuck and stops working. Totally annoying, it simply stops responding to my commands, as if there was no navigation. If at this point I put cursor on some class name, do Alt+G to go to its definition, then alt+left/alt+right unblocks and starts working.

Another point: sometimes this navigation isn't accurate: if some command jumps my cursor to some location, then I expect that I can navigate backward to where I was before and from there I should be able to navigate all the way forward and this doesn't work well sometimes for whatever reason. If I alt+g to some class definition and from that point on if I start simply moving cursor (pressing down 10 times to go down 10 lines) then when I press alt+left I'll jump back to the class definition. Now, I expect alt+right to jump down 10 lines, but this doesn't work, place from where I jumped back wasn't pushed into the places history.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  06:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many keyboard shortcuts are already mapped when VA is installed, and these mappings can vary with your IDE and the settings you selected when first installing the IDE. But you can always change and map the keyboard shortcuts how you want in the IDE keyboard shortcut settings.

Can you please look in:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard

and see which keyboard shortcuts, if any, the following are mapped to:

VAssistX.NavigateBack
VAssistX.NavigateForward

View.NavigateBackward
View.NavigateForward

this will tell us which set of commands you are using currently.

VA's history tries to detect and only store "big" movements, so you won't be stepped backwards through moving the caret left a couple of characters, or up one line. So it is possible this is a factor.

You might also find the Most Recently Used section of VA View, the top portion, to be helpful:

https://wholetomato.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W222#mru

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000