Method/Variable Reference Count
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

khashfirestorm

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  11:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please add a way to display reference count to the display just above methods and variables. Something similar to what can be achieved using CodeLens https://i.stack.imgur.com/jpSiE.png

It would be the best if this feature could be switched On/Off by button "Scroll Lock" very rarely used if at all on keyboards.

Thank you!

Cofee->Code

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  1:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE are you using, and which programming language?

I ask because VS2015 already does something like this in C#.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

khashfirestorm

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  2:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VS2015 at the moment, but you need to have certain addons installed anyway to have this functionality in Community version, and this seems to be turned off in 2017 Community. Also CodeLens calculates references based on root method so if you have abstract class Root and children classes A, B, C then references of the overridden method in A shows reference count which directly uses instances of B or C which is misleading.
On top of that it does not seem to show references of the variables which could be similarly useful.

(Link to the info how to install it on 2015 Community as a reference: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33144785/missing-codelens-references-count-in-vs-2015-community-edition )

Cheers!

Cofee->Code
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  5:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you looking for this information all of the time, or only interested in checking it now and then for specific variables and symbols? If you only want to check now and then, on specific symbols, you could trigger Find References on the symbol, and when the scan has finished this will tell you how many references have been found.

While we do track the symbols in your code, this would require tracking all of the function bodies, all of the code, instead of just the "outline" information we currently track and process. So a big change, especially if you don't need this all of the time.

Go to Top of Page

khashfirestorm

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  5:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do use it most of the time and looking over larger chunks of the code (not only specific single variables), this is why I would love to see it above the methods and variables with the ability to hide it(as it stretches vertically code which is not always desirable). Visual Assist is great tool, so its not like I would discontinue using it for the lack of this feature, but that would be an amazingly helpful feature.
If you are worried for the performance of it then I think its safe to do that in background thread and start displaying when project is parsed, I do understand that this might require extra blocks of memory and I'm willing to offer this feature required resources if it would be add to the tool.

Thanks!

Cofee->Code
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2017 :  10:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting idea, and I have put in a feature request, to see what our developers make of this:

case=104136

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000