New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wilberforced

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  1:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

I can't seem to get auto-complete to work, ever. I partially type a word, select an item from the suggestion list, but when sending an item from the suggestion list, it just highlights the partially-typed word and ...that's it. The suggestion list disappears. Nothing is input or sent. This also happens if I double-click an item in the suggestion list.

I've never been able to get it to auto-complete anything because of this issue, which is a shame because it's a fine product. Auto-complete is the primary reason I purchased it though.

I'm using Visual Studio Community 2015. I have the 'send via TAB or ENTER' settings checked in VAX. I have the Intellisense database turned off in VS. Don't think I changed anything else.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  4:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's odd, especially since you are seeing the listboxes.

Are you working in C++ or C#?

What happens when you trigger a member listbox, by dot or -> after a variable? Are these listboxes accepted, or do you get the same problem here as well?

Are VA Snippets working? In C++, if you type "if" VA should offer to insert an if block. Does this work?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Wilberforced

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  09:52:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply! I'm working in C++.

. and -> will trigger an appropriate list box, but those aren't accepted either.

Typing if will bring up a suggestion box with an appropriate if block, but hitting TAB or ENTER erases the 'if' I typed, and inserts a TAB or ENTER character.
Go to Top of Page

Wilberforced

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  1:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I figured out something strange.

Auto-complete is working as expected on any new files I create, but not on the existing ones.

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Wilberforced

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  2:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It also does not insert closing brackets, parenthesis, etc. on old files, but does on new ones. Seems to work perfectly on new files.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  8:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that's a pattern at least, but I am not sure what to make of it.

First, can you see if you have the IDE option:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Documents -> Check for consistent line endings on load

turned On or Off. If this is turned Off please turn it On, and then reload one of the existing files. Do you get a warning about mixed line endings?

What happens if you are typing at the very top of an existing file, before any of its current content? I am wondering if somehow the code in the files is the trigger.

A random thought, but worth checking. Please make sure you only have 2 or 3 files open, and none of them are modified. Now try something that fails in an existing file. Are any of the other open files now marked as modified? Typing should never go to the wrong file, but there are a few rare cases where this can happen.

Are the existing code files on your local computer, or some form of network drive?

Are the existing code files checked into source control, or marked as read only?

If you disable VA by using the menu item:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

what happens? You should still see member listboxes when typing dot and ->. Are these accepted correctly?

How are you opening the existing files? Does opening them via VA's Open File dialog, Alt-Shift-O, make any difference here?

Can you please try saving one of your existing files with a new name, via Save As. If this makes no difference, can you please try:

IDE File menu -> Advanced Save Options... ->

before doing the save as. What encoding are you using?

Go to Top of Page

Wilberforced

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2015 :  11:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delayed response. Auto-complete is now working (mysteriously) on one of my existing files, but not on others.

So, I went through all of your questions and discovered something odd: if I simply re-open an existing file that doesn't work, it now works! I tried this a hundred times before, so maybe it was something I did while running the tests you proposed. :)

Anywho, thank you! I will post here if I encounter the issue again. :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2015 :  3:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really glad this is working for you again. I still have no idea why it was failing though. Hopefully this stays fixed, but obviously, if the problem comes back again please me know and I will do everything I can to help get to the bottom of this.

Go to Top of Page

MJLaukala

6 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2017 :  10:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like this is something that happens when the file is not opened from the solution explorer.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  09:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this mean that you are able to reproduce this problem reliably?

If so, can you please describe the steps that you are taking to reproduce this, so I can try the same steps here. I often drag and drop files into the IDE, during testing, and don't get any problems when doing so.

Edited by - feline on Mar 27 2017 09:23:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

MJLaukala

6 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  3:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm working with Unreal Engine 4. When the UE4 editor creates a new source file, it automatically opens the file in Visual Studio. However, when this happens auto complete fails to auto complete when a selection is made and enter is hit. To solve this, I have to close the automatically opened files and then reopen them for auto complete to work successfully.

Sorry for the late response. I was expecting an email notification if someone responded. I just so happen to run across this issue again and couldn't remember how I solved it.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2017 :  5:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you are seeing this problem, are the VA context and navigation fields being shown at the top of the editor window for this new code file? This is where the Alt-M list appears. I am assuming that you have these turned on, so that they appear in other files.

If so, are there any details that might effect this?

I have installed Unreal Editor version 4.15.1-3348071 onto a Windows 10 machine, along side VS2015 Professional and VA 2210.

In the Unreal Editor I have made a new, default C++ first person project. I then used the "Add New" button in the bottom section of the editor to create a new C++ class, which was eventually opened in VS2015. Listboxes are working as expected for me. If I type "if" then VA Autotext is suggested. If I type a symbol name, based on the generated code, then the symbol is suggested, and its members are listed after typing a dot.

For email notification, you should see a "Subscribe to Topic" link at the top of the page, which will allow you to ask for email notifications in future.

Go to Top of Page

MJLaukala

6 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2017 :  6:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if the VA context and navigation fields are being shown at the top of the editor window. I can check this when I get home.

The listboxes do suggest the correct symbols and members. However if I start typing but don't finish typing a variable name and scroll down the suggestion list and highlight the variable name I am looking for and hit enter, it doesn't complete the text that I started typing. It only highlights it.

I am currently using Visual Studio 2017 Professional.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2017 :  08:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assuming I know absolutely nothing about Unreal Editor, can you point me in the right direction here?

I have gone into the Unreal settings, via:

Unreal Editor -> Edit menu -> Editor Preferences -> General -> Source Code -> Source Code Editor = <pull down listbox>

and set this to VS2017. Opening my test project, the bottom section of the window is a "Content Browser" tab. In this I have several icons, and the tooltip for each of the icons tells me that it is a C++ class. I right clicked one of them and select "Edit..."

This loads VS2017, and VS2017 loads the solution, but no code files are actually opened in the IDE. Waiting several minutes makes no difference, so this is not simply a bit slow.

Before, when VS2015 was the IDE I was using, I was not able to reproduce your problem when I tried, but I may have missed a step.

Go to Top of Page

MJLaukala

6 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2017 :  1:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As soon as I get home(5pm pst), I'll write up a detailed step by step process to reproduce the problem.
Go to Top of Page

MJLaukala

6 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2017 :  12:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've fixed the issue partially. I'm relatively new to Visual Assist. By default visual studio has Member List Commit Characters enabled. However this is disabled by default in visual assist under Enhanced Listboxes->Addition Characters. Unless I did accidentally change it but I don't think that I did. I found the documentation here: http://www.wholetomato.com/support/tooltip.asp?option=suggestionTab

I have been unable to reproduce the issue I was having with new files and hitting enter so far.

Edited by - MJLaukala on Apr 05 2017 12:44:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2017 :  5:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the follow-up. Let us know if you run into problems again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000