More control over formatting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Legendweaver

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  12:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the enormous shortcomings of Visual Studio is the limited options to control auto-formatting of code, especially compared to Netbeans and Eclipse. For example, Netbeans includes control of indentation, alignment, wrapping of lines, extra lines between blocks, etc. A file or project can be reformatted into an entirely new format with a single command.

I realize that VAX uses Visual Studio's built-in formatting commands, and that building such a system from scratch would be an enormous undertaking, but on the other hand, I think it would substantially increase the value that VAX offers. Regardless, even if these kind of massive changes are not available, it would be great to have some of these controls when VAX formats code that it introduces - for example, when using refactor->extract method, VAX puts * and & next to variable names, rather than next to the type names, ie:

void example(const Box2i &frameExtent, const Box2i *fillExtent)

as opposed to

void example(const Box2i& frameExtent, const Box2i* fillExtent)

Given that the second is my prefered style, it would be nice to have an option to select it.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  1:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you edit the four VA Snippet "Refactor" items then you can get some control over how VA formats code when performing a refactoring operation.

Beyond this, we are aware that code formatting is a popular request, but we don't have any current plans to try and do this. This FAQ entry links to a couple of tools for doing code formatting if you are interested:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W147

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000