Snippets export
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joracine

36 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  4:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello tomatoes,

It would be nice to have a Snippet export/import feature. Something very simple, that would export a single or set of snippets to a text file/XML/whichever and then allow re-importing on another machine.

This way we can distribute/share a set of snippets to our coworkers more easily.

Thanks,

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  12:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The VA Snippets are actually stored as simple text files, so you can simply copy the files from one machine to another. This FAQ entry will help you locate these TPL files:

http://support.wholetomato.com?W434

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

joracine

36 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  2:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, sweet. Thanks :)
Go to Top of Page

leigh.kendall

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  2:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would be nice if the location for snippets was configurable, so you could set the path to a network drive for shared use by a team. Or better yet, have a personal path and team path which would be merged within VA/VS.

Besides manually copying a centralized copy of VA snippets to each dev machine for sharing, is there a better option currently?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  2:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering adding the ability to have two snippet files, a local and a team file, that VA merges together in memory:

case=1008

For now you can simply use folder junctions / symbolic links to make the VA Snippet folder point at a network location. Exactly how you do this will depend on your OS, since newer versions of Windows have added new ways of doing this.

Go to Top of Page

ice_berge_00

8 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  11:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also like to request an import/export feature for snippets (even if it was only 1 at a time).

As you mentioned it is a simple text file and can be edited by hand or with tools.

We have several developers using VA here and some have created useful snippets they want to share with others, but not everyone wants to just replace their snippet file with the other persons and some are not as savy with programs for manipulating the text directly.

It isn't a critical thing to have but would be handy for those types of situations. The case you mentioned for a team and individual files would help with this. Having the ability to export single snippets would provide more options to use though.

No matter what, it's still a great tool!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  3:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it only a small number of individual snippets then they can simply be emailed around, perhaps as a code file. Then you can select each snippet in turn, Shift + Right click and use the command "Create VA Snippet from selection..." to speed up the process of adding the snippets to your individual lists.

Go to Top of Page

MoonQuaker
Starting Member

Israel
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2014 :  03:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still, failed to locate my snippet(made many cool snippets) files/data !?

My c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Visual Assist\\AutoText\\ is empty from any files. Yet it contains "\\Latest\\" folder which in did have 'Cpp.tpl' BUT it seems none of my new Snippets exists there, nor at any file in my HD. (-I've searched all files by content. -simple and unique snippet content)

Where is it being stored, then? (Also failed to locate it at my Win7 Registry)

Pretty enigmatic...

Seek, and you shall find! (aka ctrl-f)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2014 :  12:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It partly depends on your IDE. This FAQ entry tells you where the latest version of the Snippets are stored, your actual snippets are one directory higher:

http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W449

Hopefully this is clear. If you have any problems locating your snippet files, please just say, but also let me know the IDE you are using.

Go to Top of Page

arunsubramaniam
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  7:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

We are considering adding the ability to have two snippet files, a local and a team file, that VA merges together in memory:

case=1008

For now you can simply use folder junctions / symbolic links to make the VA Snippet folder point at a network location. Exactly how you do this will depend on your OS, since newer versions of Windows have added new ways of doing this.

Does the latest VAX include this feature. Or i still need to backup the whole snippet file?

like a folder which includes only my specific code snippets
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  8:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do, its just not exposed in the snippet editor yet. This FAQ entry explains how to do this:

http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W433

Go to Top of Page

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  2:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In new VA Snippet Editor for VS2010+ you can also use Copy/Paste to share snippets.
When you copy a VA Snippet � not just its code � Visual Assist places an XML version of the VA Snippet in the clipboard.
You can copy one or multiple VA Snippets in a single operation, making it easy to copy a suite of VA Snippets from one programming language to another.
Before copy, select snippets using Shift+Click and Ctrl+Click.

It is placed into clipboard in simple XML without header.
This XML can be used on other computer to rectreate snippets by use of Paste tool.

More about new Snippet Editor:
http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W476

Edited by - Dusan on Oct 01 2014 2:14:48 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000