New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sl@sh
Tomato Guru

Switzerland
204 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  03:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When entering comments using special characters (i. e. german umlauts) I replace those characters by something equivalent. For instance instead of "f++r" I type "fuer". I do this to make sure sourcecode shared with other partners can be viewed correctly on each and every system, not depending on locally installed character sets.

However, spellchecking underlines such words as misspelled even though I have the correct dictionary installed (in this case swiss german).

I wonder whether it would be possible for VA to provide some kind of alias definition for special characters that would make it recognice that the word "fuer" might either stand for "fuer" (literally) or "f++r" (according to alias), then look up both versions in the dictionary to decide whether it's misspelled inadvertantly or deliberately.

I don't know whether VA has that much control to provide such a feature, and even if it does I think it wouldn't be easy to implement. But I'll never find out unless I ask

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  10:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this effect a lot of words? I am wondering if you have considered adding the words to the custom dictionary, via right click -> add word.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sl@sh
Tomato Guru

Switzerland
204 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  03:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it does - as I said, this concerns single characters, and there are a couple of those (4 lower case, 3 upper case). I did consider adding each word to the custom dictionary, but there are lots. And it gets much worse when you consider other languages such as french which consists *mostly* of words containing non-standard characters.

It *is* of minor importance, at least to me, but I thought some people might have hard rules about their style of commenting within their projects and would like such a functionality.

I am aware that it might be difficult to implement in VAX, if at all.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  08:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The initial answer is to simply install an extra spell checking dictionary, for your chosen language:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/misspelled.asp

However you have already explained why you don't want to do this, to avoid adding custom characters to the file. I can see how custom character sets would be a problem for something like Russian, Polish or Chinese, but I would have expected some languages, like French and German to "just work" on most systems. Certainly I have successfully seem some languages on my test systems without having to install any custom character sets.

This change probably could be done, but it would require a GUI to maintain the rules, and at the moment it seems like quite a lot of work, but it would only benefit a very small number of people in quite specific circumstances.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  09:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might hunt around openoffice.org to see if someone else has built a dictionary with the ue versions.
Go to Top of Page

onno
Starting Member

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  10:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this topic is 6 years old.

But I was about to suggest the same idea and found this one searching the archieves. I think this idea should be implemented.

Replacement table:
+? -> ae
+? -> oe
++ -> ue
+? -> ss
+? -> Ae (or AE if all caps)
+? -> Oe (or OE if all caps)
+? -> Ue (or UE if all caps)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  11:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the slow reply here.

Are you working with computers or programs that cannot handle the actual, German characters? I have copy and pasted your character list into notepad in an English winXP machine without any extra key keyboards or languages installed, and all of the characters are displayed correctly.

I know VC6 can be difficult with some extended characters, but you can get Chinese characters displayed in VC6, and the more modern IDE's are quite happy with Unicode files if this is what you need.

I am just wondering why do it this way? Why not use the German characters?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000