Feature Requests
 Make Type selection for Intellisense Persinstent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  08:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a small feature, but it would be great if the selection of the types to display at the bottom of the intellisense dropdown would persist, at least during a session.

Now when one selects a specific set of functions/members to be displayed the next time the popup comes up the selection is cleared and all functions are displayed

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  11:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
isn't this going to cause more problems than it solves?

personally i need to move between enum types, enum items, member variables and functions quite frequently when looking at this list.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  10:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As there haven't been many responses it does not seem to bother people. As to causing more problems, for people that change the settings a lot it does not change much, you still need to click a lot of buttons when using the popup, on the other hand for people who need to change less often you reduce the amount of clicks you need.

So on the average the number of clicks is reduced which is usually a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  5:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most posts get very little comment from other people *shrug* even when we ask for comments and feedback we rarely get much, if any, response.

i think my basic concern with this idea is people posting bug reports because they used the filtering once, and now they cannot see their enum's or functions, or some other type, in the completion listboxes.

i see your point about less work if you nearly always want a specific filter. i am wondering if there is some sensible compromise here, and if it brings enough benefits to a lot of users.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  9:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We considered making the selection in the filtering toolbar sticky but found too many reasons not to do it. We think our best workaround is to provide keyboard access to the toolbar.

case=359
Go to Top of Page

chrisd

20 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  1:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not make the selection sticky based on an option, that is set to off by default therfore not changing the way most users work. I also like the idea of having keyboard access would also be useful in addition to the sticky option.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  6:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we try very hard to avoid adding options.

in a normal program the option setting only has to be checked in a couple of places, but due to the way VA has to work, fitting in and around the IDE, and hooking in all over the place each option adds a lot of work, far more than you would expect. plus we then have to make the option work in multiple IDE's

instead we strive to have VA "just work" without needing to fiddle around with the options.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000