Don't show autocomplete list when typing '.'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

.oisyn
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  07:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been annoying me since the dawn of visual assist. I think have an above average error-rate when typing, which is ok as I can easily find the backspace ;), but the problem is I sometimes type a sole dot (.) without an indentifier earlier on that line. Visual Assist reacts to this by creating a listbox with _all_ symbols it knows, from the global namespace down to the symbols in the current scope. It takes a while for this list to be filled, usually 3 to 5 seconds, which is a really long time to wait for when you're in the middle of typing something.

I'd like to request that typing a '.' without something to look things up just does nothing. Note that sometimes this is already the case, then it just says "Intellisense: 'No additional information available'" in the status bar.

Edited by - .oisyn on Jul 12 2006 07:31:08 AM

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  12:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The behavior you describe is what the IDE does by default, i.e. without VA X installed. We simply leave it as it is. In fact, we let the IDE generate the listbox of all symbols since it does it anyhow and we'd only slow the process, but this is the reason you sometimes see, "Intellisense: 'No additional information available'."

Your request, seemingingly reasonable, is to make the IDE stop what it's doing.
Go to Top of Page

.oisyn
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  07:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it help if I disable the 'auto list members' option in Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> General? Or would that disable VA X as well?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  12:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disabling the option in the IDE disables the behavior in VA X.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000