New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2024 :  9:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have asked Microsoft to fix their Registers window since VS 2012, and they will not. I've tried on their Feature Suggest multiple times.

The Registers window is completely broken since VS 2012. VS 2010 and before worked nicely, had an aligned register window. It was predictable, usable. In VS 2012 and later it shifts around from time to time. Seemingly at random. When you resize the window it moves things around and shifts around differently. It's unusable.

Is there any way Whole Tomato could add to VAX a new VA Registers window to work like the ones did in VS 2010 and before? I searched the Visual Studio extension manager for "Registers" and nothing pops up. I searched Microsoft's Visual Studio feedback portal for other register window requests and a few popped up, but none of them are being acted on, and some of them are for VS 2019.

In this example, we see register windows of similar width (I base it on the FPU registers, and the maximum default display of "ST0 = +0.0000000000000000e+0000").

In VS 2012 and later, it looks like the Visual Studio 2022 version ... chaotic.
In VS 2010 and prior, it looks like the Visual Studio 2008 version ... organized.

Could you please create a simple VAX window which would display the registers?

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Edited by - foxmuldr on Aug 26 2024 08:08:37 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18934 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2024 :  08:35:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the risk of asking a stupid question, have you tried resizing the registers window? Your VS2022 screen shot looks exactly like a word wrapped window.

I have opened the registers window in VS2022 17.11.1 and after a bit of resizing horizontally, have a fairly orderly vertical list.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2024 :  10:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my second paragraph, original post:

"When you resize the window it moves things around and shifts around differently. It's unusable."

Even when you resize it doesn't align. The EAX will be to the left, and every other register is indented. And they periodically jump around based on I don't know what.

Not many people do assembly programming I'm guessing, so it's a low priority for Microsoft. But, when you do assembly programming (which I do considerably) it's beyond annoying.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18934 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2024 :  10:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes sense, but for something that seems quite user specific, its not something we are likely to add to VA. It isn't going to help enough of our users, unfortunately.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000