Snippet order in clipboard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BeigeAlert

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2024 :  4:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I copy snippets from the snippet editor (eg "Ctrl + A" in the snippet list on the left side in the editor, then "Ctrl + C"), they're out-of-order when I paste them into a text editor. I've been keeping my snippets in source control (git), and it makes it difficult to see the changes when they've been shuffled around. It would be wonderful if snippets appeared in the clipboard alphabetically by name, like they do in the editor itself.

If I don't survive, tell my wife "Hello".

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18843 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2024 :  08:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you storing the snippets in git? Are you storing the actual TPL files, or are you manually extracting and saving the XML that gets copied out of the dialog?

The TPL files are just text files, so they can simply be stored directly in source control, and you can diff and merge them like any normal text file. The TPL files are stored in the directory:

%APPDATA%\VisualAssist\Autotext
one per language.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

BeigeAlert

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2024 :  5:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

How are you storing the snippets in git? Are you storing the actual TPL files, or are you manually extracting and saving the XML that gets copied out of the dialog?

The TPL files are just text files, so they can simply be stored directly in source control, and you can diff and merge them like any normal text file. The TPL files are stored in the directory:

%APPDATA%\VisualAssist\Autotext
one per language.

Aha! This opens up much better possibilities!

I had been simply doing Select All --> Copy in the VA Snippets window, then pasting it into notepad++, and then saving that as an xml document into my repository somewhere.

For some reason I had been under the impression that the snippets file was stored in some secret location, or as part of some kind of archive and in a not easily readable format... knowing they're stored in plaintext like this now, this opens up some interesting possibilities. Thank you! :D

If I don't survive, tell my wife "Hello".
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18843 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2024 :  06:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad this helps, and yes, it should be a great deal simpler!

If you really want to get clever, you can try setting up junction points in the file system, so the folder holding these snippet files also appears inside your source control directory tree, without needing to copy any files back and forward.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000