Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2023 :  10:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize this is an unlikely request, but I thought I'd ask:

I have some projects whereby I'm using Visual Studio 98, 2003, and 2005, and am coding in Windows 2000 SP4 or 2003 Server SP2. The versions of VAX from back then are pretty old (1842 is the one I'm using I believe).

Would it be possible for me to get the source code for 1842 so I can make some adjustments myself? I'm willing to sign an NDA and a non-compete clause or whatever else is required. I'd really just like to add some features to this already awesome tool.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2023 :  12:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately not an option.

I don't suppose moving to even a slightly newer platform is an option for these projects?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2023 :  10:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline
I don't suppose moving to even a slightly newer platform is an option for these projects?

No. The code runs on older OSes. And, truth be told, I'm falling in love with Visual Studio 2005. It is so much faster for development than VS 2019 or 2022. Single-step debugging is nearly instantaneous. It is actually instantaneous in VS 2003, but VS 2005 was the first version with the Code Definition Window, and I find that valuable enough to take the small performance hit. That Code Definition Window also uses a different timing than VS 2008 and later versions, which makes it pop the code up much faster.

If you get the chance, install VS 2005 and give it a try developing in and debugging for a couple hours with edit-and-continue. You'll never switch back. :-)

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2023 :  10:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Older OS's in VM's run so very fast on new hardware, in that sense I do very much get where you are coming from. But language support for newer C++ features just isn't there in a version of Visual Studio that old, so anything I do that requires learning the newer concepts and libraries has to be done in the newer versions. If that is "better" is a different question though

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2023 :  12:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can probably set it up to use a more modern compiler. I know when I was using Intel compilers for a time it had a configurator that automatically setup each cpp file to use their compiler instead of the default one.

So if you install VS 2005 alongside a later version, you can point the compiler and linker to the other version.

I don't use many advanced C++ coding methods, but stay much closer to C (as you've commented on before with things like:
var = (SStruct*)malloc(sizeof(SStruct));

:-)

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Edited by - foxmuldr on Nov 14 2023 08:54:01 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000