New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2023 :  3:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it be possible to add a proportional / fixed point font option to the VA Find References Results window? Maybe add an icon at the top with an [Aa->Aa] symbol showing proportional and fixed point letters, so when clicked it toggles through three options:

• 1. Proportional font
  • 2. Fixed point font source code only
  • 3. Fixed point font all text and code

You could use the editor window's font, maybe point size it down to the size used by VA in the VA Find References Results window.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Edited by - foxmuldr on Sep 05 2023 3:03:57 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18938 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2023 :  10:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can control the font used in Find References Results by editing the IDE font:

IDE Options -> Font and Colors -> Show settings for = Environment

and then changing the font used. This will also change the font used in Solution Explorer, and other IDE tool windows.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

SvenR
Tomato Guru

109 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2023 :  08:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline
This will also change the font used in Solution Explorer, and other IDE tool windows.

This is probably the reason for the feature request.

Windows 10 x64, VS 2022, VaX 10.9.2522
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18938 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2023 :  12:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's far too obvious, surely it isn't that

How far do we want to try and take this though? Does the Find References Results font, assuming one can be set on its own, also effect the Rename dialog where the Find References Results are also shown?

What about VA Outline? Do we need one font for each place? Or just a "VA tool windows" font? What about dialogs?

Go to Top of Page

SvenR
Tomato Guru

109 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2023 :  04:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once had a similar problem when I used 'Verdana' as my Windows system font. It was easy to read in the Solution Explorer. VA used a different (Segoe UI like) font in its windows until build 2382. This one was better for recognizing source code lines in VA Outline and VA Find References. Unfortunately (for me) this was fixed in build 2387 (case=142364).

So it makes sense to want to use different fonts for different windows. Windows with source code may be clearer with a fixed font, while the Solution Explorer doesn't really look nice with a fixed font.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18938 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2023 :  06:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you look for a window by window font setting? Or just a single setting that applied across one or more windows?

I am used to using a proportional font for these VA windows, but always use a fixed width font for my code. But if we are talking about an option here, then what about VA View and VA Outline? They are both reasonable candidates. But then where do we stop? Honestly I am not sure where to draw the line, but adding a option for each individual window doesn't seem all that reasonable either.

Go to Top of Page

SvenR
Tomato Guru

109 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2023 :  07:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a lot of back and forth, I chose 'Microsoft YaHei UI' as my system font and I'm happy with it. So I don't need any further customization.

But there is something about foxmuldr's idea with the toggle in the window for a better visual separation of filenames and source code. This could also be a combined option for all VA windows with text and source code.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18938 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2023 :  11:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put in a feature request for this, to see what our developers think of it. I am still a bit concerned this is the thin end of a wedge, but at the same time, I do see the appeal of being able to update the Find References Results window font:

case=150029

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2023 :  12:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping. :-)

I think adding some settings:

- Use VA Fonts In These Windows:

Master font #1 to use:  [dropdown list, default to the current IDE Options Environment font]
    Master font #2 to use:  [dropdown list, default to the current text editor font]
    Master font #3 to use:  [dropdown list, default to Microsoft YaHei UI :-)]

- Apply VA Fonts To These Windows:

[x] Find by Reference -- Font to use:  [dropdown list, default to "Master fonts"]
    [x] Rename            -- Font to use:  [dropdown list, default to "Master fonts"]
    [x] etc...            -- Font to use:  [dropdown list, default to "Master fonts"]

Whichever ones are marked with an [x] display in that font, and whichever ones have the non-default "Master Fonts" selection will use that specific font and make it one of the ones available in the font cycle button that gets added to those windows.

As users choose / set fonts, it should auto-keep the selection for that window type and show it that way next time.

Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2023 :  1:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping. :-)

I think adding some settings:

- Use VA Fonts In These Windows:

Master font #1 to use:  [dropdown list, default to the current IDE Options Environment font]
    Master font #2 to use:  [dropdown list, default to the current text editor font]
    Master font #3 to use:  [dropdown list, default to Microsoft YaHei UI :-)]

- Apply VA Fonts To These Windows:

[x] Find by Reference -- Font to use:  [dropdown list, default to "Master fonts"]
    [x] Rename            -- Font to use:  [dropdown list, default to "Master fonts"]
    [x] etc...            -- Font to use:  [dropdown list, default to "Master fonts"]

Whichever ones are marked with an [x] display in that font, and whichever ones have the non-default "Master Fonts" selection will use that specific font and make it one of the ones available in the font cycle button that gets added to those windows.

As users choose / set fonts, it should auto-keep the selection for that window type and show it that way next time.

Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2023 :  1:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe something like this:

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18938 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2023 :  11:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put in the feature request for the Find References Results window, but which other places do you specifically want to change the font for? Some places make more sense, some places less sense.

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  11:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only ones I can think of are:

1. Find by reference.
2. The rename list.
3. Tooltips.

At the top it should have an [A->] icon, which when clicked cycles through the fonts. That's my thinking.

You could also add a link to www.programmingfonts.org because they have a multitude of programming fonts people could choose from, or create a popup with links to those fonts if you don't want to link to a 3rd party aggregation site like that which could be here today, gone tomorrow.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Edited by - foxmuldr on Oct 16 2023 11:13:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18938 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2023 :  05:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put a note onto the case about this. For tooltips, often the tooltip is coming from the IDE, and VA is applying syntax colouring to it. So not sure how easily the tooltip font could be updated. In the IDE Font and Color settings, you do have the option of setting the font for "Editor Tooltip" which should help.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000