Feature Requests
 OpenCorrespondingFile in C++ XAML project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Holuwa

3 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2020 :  10:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems the Open Corresponding File (https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W195) function can work with C# XAML project. But it doesn't work for C++ XAML Project.

I'd love to see that Visual Assist can provide Open Corresponding File support for the scenario described below.

In a C++ project (using C++/WinRT), an xaml file is associated with a .h file and .cpp file as following:

- Filename.xaml
- Filename.h
- Filename.cpp

If I'm editing Filename.xaml, currently Alt+O has not effect. If I'm editing either Filename.h or Filename.cpp, then Alt+O switches to either Filename.cpp or Filename.h.

What I wish for is

- when I'm editing Filename.xaml, Alt+O can provide options to go to either Filename.h or Filename.cpp
- when I'm editing Filename.h, Alt+O can provide options to go to either Filename.xaml or Filename.cpp
- when I'm editing Filename.cpp, Alt+O can provide options to go to either Filename.xaml or Filename.h

Thanks!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2020 :  1:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE are you using?

I am not currently seeing the option to create a C++ XAML project in VS2019, so I assume there is an extra component I have to install, but it could simply be that you are using a different version of the IDE.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Holuwa

3 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2020 :  12:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using Visual Studio 2019. Sorry I forgot to mention that "C++/WinRT Visual Studio Extension (VSIX)" (https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=CppWinRTTeam.cppwinrt101804264) should be installed.
C++/WinRT is a relatively new C++ language projection of Windows Runtime, more information is available at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/cpp-and-winrt-apis/intro-to-using-cpp-with-winrt

It supports XAML, the project template "Blank App (C++/WinRT)" is a good example.

Edited by - Holuwa on Aug 12 2020 12:14:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  09:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know about that extension, I have a test case solution working here now, thank you for that.

What about the IDL file? This is one of the set of 4 files for the default "MainPage" set that is created in this solution.

Go to Top of Page

Holuwa

3 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  11:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The IDL file is in MIDL3 format (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/midl-3/intro).
It doesn't seem Visual Assist currently understands that.

Because the IDL file doesn't change so frequently, as far as I'm concerned, it's fine that it's not listed in Alt-O.

I usually don't use the generated IDL file, instead I put all definitions in one single IDL for a project to increase build speed.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2020 :  06:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes sense, I have put in a feature request for this:

case=142803

VA does have some understanding of IDL files, the Alt-M list should work correctly for you in your main IDL file, but as you know, there is no syntax highlighting being applied.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000