New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HateDread

Australia
23 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  12:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

There have been a few topics about unnecessary reparsing being performed (especially in Unreal), but there's another angle to the situation I think is important.

On a number of occasions, I've opened VS to an Unreal-based solution - that I know hasn't changed - just so I can look at some of the code and explore using Visual Assist. Other times, I'm opening VS just to build and launch something, perhaps under serious time pressure (like the stakeholders literally standing over me waiting to see a demo).

In situations like this, I would like to have the control over my machine to tell VAX to stop parsing. Sometimes, as the user, I know best - VAX's reasoning be damned. I know I can tweak the parsing thread count to make things more responsive, but by default I want all parsing to be as fast as possible. I just occasionally need to tell VAX to stop _right now_ and give me all of my cores back.

Is there currently a way to accomplish this without disabling VAX and restarting VS? I'd like to be able to do in all inside VS right there and then, and then continue on with e.g. building or exploring code.

Thanks!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing quite like this currently.

I assume you have considered going to VA Options dialog -> Performance, and turning off mutlithreaded parsing?

Is this to slow / cumbersome? Not reducing the impact of VA's parsing enough on your system?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000