Feature Requests
 Filters for VA Find References Results
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blake

8 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2017 :  6:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I often use Find References to find where instances of a certain class are being created, but I sometimes end up having to wade through a whole lot of extra stuff to find what I'm searching for.

It would be useful if there were a few filter toggles in the Find References window to quickly filter out unwanted results based on what you're currently looking for.

For example my current find references window (with 63 references in 24 files with only one actual place it's being constructed) shows (In order of most to least annoying):
A heap of files #including the matching classes header without referring to it directly. Not at all what I'm looking for.
All that classes member function definitions, again not useful as they're not even referring to instances of the class.
Places using sizeof(class) or alignof(class). Occasionally useful, but would be nice to filter out when looking for instances.
Functions taking const pointers/references to the class. Sometimes useful, but not if I'm just looking for where they're created/modified.
Functions taking non-const pointers/references to the class. Useful when looking for where they're modified, but not for where they're created.

I believe having a way to filter out these results from in the find references window would speed up certain use cases tremendously.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2017 :  9:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can filter the result by right-clicking on the VA Find References window. In that context menu you will find the types of references that are currently listed for your class. There is a category for includes as well. You can see most types on my attached sample picture:

If you disable the other categories, and only leave the one framed by red, you are only left with creations.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - accord on Nov 26 2017 9:58:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blake

8 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2017 :  4:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, exactly what I was looking for, I'd only looked at the buttons along the top (display inherited, etc.).
Hadn't tried right clicking in the window.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2017 :  08:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've added documentation for the feature:
https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W189#creation
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic