Feature Requests
 Option to show actual type in declaration bar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blake

8 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2017 :  7:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you click on a variable, the bar at the top of the screen shows the declaration as a dropdown menu.

If that type is a typedef though, it shows the name of the typedef, and not the underlying type which is sometimes more useful.

A common pattern at my workplace is to have containers typedef'd so that they can be returned by things:
class Foo {
using BarList = FixedVector<Bar>;
const BarList& GetMyList() { return m_myList; }
BarList m_myList;
};

But when clicking on m_myList or something that has been returned from GetMyList, the bar at the top will just say BarList m_myList, when FixedVector<Bar> might be the more useful info.
Currently to find that information I have to go to the variable declaration, then if it was declared auto go to the definition of the thing it was assigned to, then click on the typename in order to see the underlying type.

I would like to be able to tell that declaration line to parse typedefs, perhaps using that dropdown menu to switch between them (So the dropdown menu would have the items "BarList m_myList" and "FixedVector<Bar> m_myList" in it.

Thanks,
Blake

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2017 :  8:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you familiar with Goto Related? (alt+shift+G)

That command is able to recursively parse typedefs and show the types for you. I've attached a screenshot of what I see over m_myList:

You can see the result of this parse in the Types of Symbols submenu, but in this case you can already also see the type in the main menu as Goto Member of <type>

Edited by - accord on Oct 11 2017 8:30:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blake

8 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2017 :  01:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was unaware of that feature of Goto Related, it still might be nice to have that list in the dropdown menu (since that menu only has 1 entry anyway and is used for going to it), but alt+shift+G might be good enough for my usual workflow (as long as I make work to remember it).

Thanks,
Blake
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2017 :  11:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are more comfortable using your Mouse for this, you can easily map Goto Related in the VA Options dialog, on the Mouse page.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000