Add possibility to do one most obvious refactoring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Predelnik

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  10:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I've been working with various java IDEs (Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA) there's always been a way to do the appropriate refactoring for specific cases without having to choose the exact appropriate variant from menus.

I've noticed that in case of VA at least something similar could be easily done since there are such cases when obviously most appropriate command is either "Create from Usage", "Add Include", "Create Declaration/Implementation".

Since for now one of these operations in default configuration requires at least 3 mouse clicks and visual search from user, doing this with one hotkey, or one hotkey + mouse click (in case of some choice from a couple of obvious variants and confirmation) would surely improve user perfomance.

Not sure that this could be done very easily, but I would really like to see a feature like this.

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  10:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pressing alt+shift+Q will display a menu with the more appropriate commands.
Go to Top of Page

Predelnik

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  1:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, it looks like I what I was looking for, you can close this topic, I guess)
The only complaint is what it's not that easy to find))

PS: Oh, and one more thing, I checked it out and it looks like when VA gives me option to add include (probably when symbol is found but not in this file) it's more appropriate to put option "Add include" before "Rename", but it's a minor thing.

Edited by - Predelnik on Nov 20 2013 1:44:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  1:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a fair argument. In build 2007, the Tip of the Day tips were updated with this item as one of them.

Also, this menu is the one that is displayed when clicking on the Refactor icon/button that appear when you hover over a symbol. The tooltip for that icon/button should also indicate the keybinding.
Go to Top of Page

Predelnik

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2013 :  02:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I see updated tips of the day are very nice, though I guess not everyone read them.

I was trying to use arrow symbol initially but somehow I became aware that it's not very comfortable, it's too small and takes some time to appear, so gradually I completely forgot about existence of it's menu :) Using customizable hotkey for this functionality is much more useful.

Anyway thank you very much and sorry for asking for already existing features :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000