Organize includes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jensa

14 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  04:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

In our company, we have a rule on how to organize include statements in files. However, when people use the IDE to automatically add include statements, they get just appended after the last include in the file. It would be great if you implemented an autoamtic sorting of include statement based on path prefixes, such that I can specify which includes get grouped and where.

Best regards,
Jens

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  2:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you aware of VA's sort lines command:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/sort.asp

Automatically sorting the #include lines is one thing, but you seem to be asking for something quite a bit more complex, and thus requiring a lot more rules, than a simple sort of a block of lines.

Will simply sorting the #include statements with the sort lines command be enough, or do your company guidelines call for something more complex?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jensa

14 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  03:08:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it has to be more complex than a simple alphabetical sort. What I am thinking of is a set of rules where I can configure that
0. for a file file.cpp, place the file.h header at the top
1. standard headers
2. some library headers
3. some other library headers

Basically, there should be a list of prefixes for includes which I can configure that defines the sort order.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  10:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clearly this is going to get quite complex quite quickly, and it is also very specific to your situation, so it is unlikely we are going to try and add a feature like this to VA.

Have you considered using an IDE macro to do this? Since you can hard code the sorting rules you should be able to do this in a relatively simple manor, since you don't need to allow for all of the settings required to set and edit these rules.

Go to Top of Page

jensa

14 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the idea, I will certainly try out an IDE macro. I've never done that before, so it is a good start to learn something new.

Just for the records, I came to the idea when I remembered using Eclipse some time ago. They had a feature "Organize imports" for Java source code which worked quite well. Maybe you could have a look at their functionality to get a glimpse.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  1:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might find this macro an interesting start point:

http://support.wholetomato.com?W445

it does not attempt to sort anything, but it does scan over a block of selected lines, and look at each line in turn, before updating it. So you should be able to use the same logic to look at each selected #include line in turn, to work out how you want to sort them in memory, before replacing the selected code with the sorted lines.

For the Eclipse feature, the first good search result I found for this was this:

http://www.vasanth.in/2008/11/18/eclipse-tip-organize-imports-and-java-import-style/

which seems to be describing a concept that simply does not apply to C++, using wild cards to group import / include statements.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000