New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rryk

Germany
48 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  03:15:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Occasionally VAX won't load with Visual Studio. All the options in the VAssistX menu would remain gray, tool windows empty and none of the functions work (those mapped to shortcuts). Restarting Visual Studio usually helps, so it is not a big issue, but is an annoying one.

Please help me diagnose the problem to give you more info. This issue happens to me every 2-3 days or so.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  4:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Occasionally VAX won't load with Visual Studio.

You mean sometimes it won't be enabled when you start Visual Studio, but if will be enabled, it keeps working?

Are you using any other Visual Studio plug-ins or extensions?

quote:
This issue happens to me every 2-3 days or so.

How often you start Visual Studio? Once a day, twice, 10 times, or even more? I'm wondering if you would be able to reproduce the problem with a few restarts.

If you can reproduce it relatively easily, can you please try turning on logging before you start Visual Studio via changing the following registry entry?
HKCU \\ Software \\ Whole Tomato \\ Logging = 1

Unfortunately you will have to do it again before each Visual Studio start because the entry is reset when you exit VS. If you are able to repro, you will find instructions where you will find the log files after the jump:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

You can send in the files via the following form:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Please include the URL of this topic in the description filed so we can match it up.
Hopefully, the log files will give us a clue about why is this happening.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  3:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which OS are you using? How are you loading the IDE? In VS2005 and VS2008 the IDE will not load plugin's if the Shift key is held down when the IDE is loading.

Under Windows 7, if you have an IDE shortcut pinned to the taskbar and are holding down Shift while left clicking on the shortcut to launch a second instance of the IDE then the IDE will load, but VA will be disabled. Here the workaround is to use a middle click which does the same as shift+left click (under Windows 7).

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

rryk

Germany
48 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  03:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Under Windows 7, if you have an IDE shortcut pinned to the taskbar and are holding down Shift while left clicking on the shortcut to launch a second instance of the IDE then the IDE will load, but VA will be disabled. Here the workaround is to use a middle click which does the same as shift+left click (under Windows 7).

That could be the reason. When giving it a second thought, it seems to only appear in the second instance of Visual Studio, which I usually start with Shift-click on taskbar icon. I think this is most probably reason. Is there a way to disable this behavior in Visual Studio or remap it to a different key? My mouse middle button is very inconvenient to click on.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  11:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no, this is something Visual Studio does by design, and it is totally outside of out control. VS2010 still loads plugin's if the Shift key is held down, to be more compatible with Windows 7 and loading programs like this.

You could try using the start menu, or a keyboard shortcut that does not use Shift to load the IDE.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  5:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, you can right click on Visual Studio on the task bar and Select "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010". This way, an additional instance will be started.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000