Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA2022.4(2463) FindRefs icon-hover crashes VS19/22

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
goranw Posted - Nov 15 2022 : 02:25:06 AM
This is a new bug in build 2022.4 (2463), a regression from build 2022.3 (2458).

After starting (or finishing) a "VA Find References" operation, everything works fine until I just "hover" the mouse pointer over any of the icons in the toolbar of the "Find Reference Results" tool-window (or over where these icons should be - sometimes some of them are not even visible).

When thus hovering over that toolbar, a "spinning" mouse cursor is first shown (no tooltip appears) and VS immediately becomes unresponsive, then after ca 10 seconds it shuts down and restarts. This happens in both VS2019 and VS2022. It can be reproduced easily and consistently, happens every time (I've verified it on 3 computers in 2 locations so far). A workaround is to downgrade VA to 2022.3 (2458), where this issue does not appear.

This issue is possibly related in some ways to the multiple fixes for hovering/tooltips made in build 2022.4.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 15 2022 : 06:34:58 AM
Thank you for the very clear description of this serious problem.� Someone else reported this crash by email a couple of days ago, and I am able to reproduce this here just as easily:

case=148818

We are currently working on this, and obviously hope to have a fix fairly soon.

As for the missing icons, I suspect this is a separate problem.� We have seen several reports of this, mostly effecting the main VA toolbar, but not always:

case=148132

To fix the missing icons, can you please close all instances of the IDE, and then open a Windows command prompt, running as Administrator, and then run the command:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /setup

obviously you need to use the correct path for the version of Visual Studio you are using that has the missing icons.� This should only take a few seconds, and normally fixes the missing icons.
goranw Posted - Nov 15 2022 : 03:41:59 AM
Additional details: After reverting to build 2022.3 (2458) and performing the same steps, tooltips appear as expected when hovering on icons in the "Find References Results" toolbar.

However, on one of the 3 machines I've tested so far, only 2 of the icons are actually visible: "Refresh" and "Find in Results". The remaining 2 + 3 icons (before + after the 2 visible ones) are invisible (but still show a tooltip). On the same machine, build 2022.4 (2463) was the same with regards to visible/invisible, except that any of these icons (whether invisible or not) gave a crash instead of a tooltip...

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000