Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Mark/Remove unused ResourceIDs

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bejoscha Posted - Nov 09 2022 : 05:55:00 AM
I've been using VisualAssist for years but most likely know only a very small amount of its functionality, so please tell, if my requested functionality already exists in some form:

When looking at a typical MFC resource.h file it is far from obvious if all of the defined resource-IDs are actually in use.
In order to clean up, I would like to be quickly able to identify and remove those, which aren't.

In a manual-approach, I would select a defined resource id, say "IDC_BUTTON_1" and then perform a solution-wide text-search if it shows up anywhere additional to the current resource.h file. (In particular, if it shows up in the .rc files!)
If not, I would simply delete it.

Instead of a text-search, I can also use the "Find references" functionality (SHIFT ALT F)
Now my feature request would be to have a code-cleanup method for resource.h files which performs the task for all defined resource-IDs, i.e. all keywords defined with #define in the file and then highlights all that have no references outside the document. (with option to then delete those lines)
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 15 2022 : 09:16:05 AM
Unfortunately no, this isn't currently a feature that we have, but we are looking to add a feature that scans for unused methods and variables, and since this is a logical extension of this, I have put a note of this idea onto that feature request:

case=2335

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000