Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Keybind for suggestion popup

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mcotton Posted - Jul 01 2020 : 9:40:43 PM
Perhaps this is already achievable but I was unable to figure it out.

I find the constant suggestion lists very distracting and they tend to cover up code I am reading as I write new code. However they are still useful.

I would love the ability to hit a keybind and toggle the actual suggestion list for the word I'm currently typing. I saw there was a "toggle suggestions" keybind but that appears to just turn the option on and off rather than actually toggling the list itself.

I don't need suggestions for fstream when I'm just typing float but I might want it if I'm doing longMethodName()
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 03 2020 : 05:27:31 AM
You will also want to turn Off:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Suggestion and Completion lists
Include VA Snippets

since when you type "fl" this is being taken as a trigger for the VA Snippet for float. Or, if you prefer, you can keep this enabled, but just edit your snippets, so they don't get prompted when it's less useful to you:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W171

depending on your IDE and IDE settings you may also want to set:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> IntelliSense -> Disable Aggressive Member List = True
mcotton Posted - Jul 02 2020 : 8:56:58 PM
I did not know about the control key. That is useful.

I think I was having issues figuring out what was caused by VS by default and what was being caused by VA. I believe I have it setup the way you are suggesting now. VS lists are disabled, VA suggestion lists disabled (top checkbox) but enabled in c++. So now if I type `fl` I get a single suggestion of `float` and ctrl-space will show the list of other suggestions.
Is there a way to disable even that single suggestion? Basically I don't want anything showing unless I specifically tell it to.
feline Posted - Jul 02 2020 : 05:55:25 AM
There are a couple of approaches here.

First, do you know that if you hold down the Control key the current listbox will go transparent, so you can see and read the code that it is hiding?

The second option is to turn off suggestions by default, and use CTRL-SPACE to call up a listbox as and when you would find it useful.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000