Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Open file list in separate (dockable) tool window

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bta Posted - Feb 11 2019 : 07:52:22 AM
I typically have quite a lot of files open while developing.
I pin some of these files for easy access.
Unfortunately, pinning a lot of files, causes the 'opened files' area to take up quite some space. (I also have pinned files on separate row)
Next to that, our filenames are quite long.
VS tries to keep limit the size of a opened file tab, and removed characters in the middle of the filename (...).
Together, the end result is that I do not have a good overview of the open files anymore and have to use the Open file in solution dialog over and over again.
What I really would like is to remove the standard open files tabs (or limit it to 1 row), and have the list of open files in a separate tool window like VA View.
The pinned files could then be first in the list (sorted alphabetically), followed by the rest of the (unpinned) open files.
Pinning and unpinning could be part of that view as well.
Because it is a separate, dockable, tool window, I can make it as wide as I want (allowing to always see the full filename).

Bart
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 12 2019 : 06:41:13 AM
This list does not seem to show locked files any differently, so I don't know if this will matter to you or not.

Another thought, if you are used to using VA View, is to right click in the top of VA View, the recently used file list, and set:

VA View -> Right Click -> Include opened files = Off
VA View -> Right Click -> Include modified files = Off
VA View -> Right Click -> Include modified methods = On

this will help if you are editing a fairly small number of methods scattered amongst the open files.
bta Posted - Feb 12 2019 : 04:24:37 AM
ok, thanks.

Indeed that already helps a bit.
Will work with that for a moment and see how it goes...

Bart
feline Posted - Feb 11 2019 : 09:08:20 AM
At the right hand end of the list of file tabs, above the Go button, if you have VA's context and definition fields showing, there is a small downward pointing arrow. If you left click on this with the mouse cursor, you should get a list showing the full names of all of the open tabs, in alphabetical order.

For me this is bound to the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow.

If this keyboard shortcut doesn't work for you, this is the rather obviously titled command "Window.ShowEzMDIFileList", which you can map to your own keyboard shortcut in the IDE options dialog.

It's not always open, but this should do most of what you are looking for, I have been using this to handle this very problem for quite some time myself.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000