Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Errors editing projects when VA is installed

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
doucette Posted - Mar 30 2015 : 2:33:28 PM
When VA is installed and enabled (in Extensions and Updates) I am unable to modify any project properties or add/remove files in a C++ project. Any attempt to do so produces an error dialog with the text "One or more errors occurred." This occurs 100% of the time. Disabling VA within its own menu does not avoid the problem, but disabling VA in the Extensions and Updates dialog (and restarting VS) does avoid the problem. The changes that I make are actually persisted, but are visible only after reloading the solution.

I have completely wiped both Visual Studio and Visual Assist from the registry and AppData and have uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Assist. Neither has addressed the problem.

I have tested this on a brand "Visual C++ Empty Project" and was able to reproduce the issue reliably.

VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2059.0 built 2015.02.11
DevEnv.exe version 12.0.31101.0 Professional
msenv.dll version 12.0.31101.0
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7601.17514
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
16 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 03 2015 : 8:34:44 PM
Also which IDE are you using?

I have now installed the Google Native Client SDK, and the VS2010 and VS2012 extensions. Testing in VS2012 with VA 2083, I can add a file quite happily to both a C++ project that existed before installing the SDK, and to the "hello_world_gles" example project that the install documentation mentions.
sean Posted - Dec 03 2015 : 7:52:41 PM
What version of VA are you using? In build 2076, we changed the logic even further so that the registry workaround is not required.
KrisTc Posted - Dec 03 2015 : 4:59:46 PM
I was also getting this issue. I had installed the Google Native Client SDK's VS plugin.
I was only experimenting with the Google plugin, I have uninstalled it and VS is now usable again.
Can you post the registry work around?
sean Posted - Jun 11 2015 : 2:57:41 PM
This thread continued via support email. It ended up being case=89177.
case=89177 is addressed via a workaround registry setting in build 2068.

For the sake of others that may come across this thread:
The one or more errors is due to some sort of configuration problem with platforms installed for targeting by the VC++ engine.
VA will limit interaction to the platforms explicitly listed in "PlatformWhitelist" if the registry value exists and is not empty.
Contact support for further details.
doucette Posted - Mar 31 2015 : 11:29:52 AM
Thank you. I submitted a new request just now with the logs attached.
feline Posted - Mar 30 2015 : 8:30:01 PM
Thank you for the update, it is good to know this is localised. Sorry about the link, I am not sure what happened there, the wrong link in the clipboard. The correct link for VA log files is:

http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W305
doucette Posted - Mar 30 2015 : 7:22:53 PM
Correct. This is only happening on one machine, and only with VS2013.

I followed the link you provided but received the error, "You do not have access to this forum." I would be happy to send along any logs you want once I have access to the FAQ. Thanks!
feline Posted - Mar 30 2015 : 7:15:45 PM
So this is VS2013 specific, and also machine specific?

As you say, it seems safe to rule out the PlayStation 4 extensions, and I am not seeing anything else in your list that is unusual.

Can you please turn on VA logging, then reproduce this error message, then close the IDE to stop the log files from getting to large. Please see this FAQ for details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files

http://www.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5489
doucette Posted - Mar 30 2015 : 4:43:23 PM
I have used previous versions of VA on this machine going back three years and on VS versions from 2010 to 2015. When I completely reset VS and VA I tested it with most of our other extensions removed. The installed extensions at that time were:

Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio
Behaviors SDK (XAML)
Microsoft Advertising pubCenter Service for Visual Studio
Microsoft Advertising SDK for WIndows 8.1
NuGet Package Manager for Visual Studio 2013
Visual Assist
Visual F# 3.1
Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library for JavaScript
Windows Phone 8.1 SDK Integration

In addition to the above there are two extensions related to PlayStation 4 development. We have a few hundred people running both of those extensions along with Visual Assist and none of them have experienced this issue.
feline Posted - Mar 30 2015 : 4:33:43 PM
Apologies for this, obviously this is not supposed to happen. If you look at:

IDE Tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

what extensions are listed on you system? For VS2013 Update 4 with VA I have the following extensions listed:

Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio
Behaviors SDK (XAML)
Microsoft Advertising pubCenter Service for Visual Studio
Microsoft Advertising SDK for WIndows 8.1
Microsoft ASP.NET and Web Tools
Microsoft Visual Studio ASP.NET MVC 5 Scaffolding
NuGet Package Manager for Visual Studio 2013
Visual Assist
Visual F# 3.1
Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library for JavaScript
Windows Phone 8.1 SDK Integration

I am wondering if an interaction with another extension might be a factor here.

The fact this happens in an empty project is very interesting, and a little worrying. If this was somehow solution specific then it would make sense to suspect a corrupt solution.

Have you used a previous version of VA on this machine? I am wondering if this could be version specific.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000