Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 allow selection of public/private/protected...

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shiihs Posted - Nov 27 2013 : 03:37:27 AM
Hello,

Please consider allowing selection of public/private/protected in operations like:

extract method
create declaration
create from usage
add member

I've been using other products who offer this functionality (e.g. QtCreator has it), and I miss the feature in visual studio+visual assist which I use in my day job.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Feb 13 2015 : 8:15:26 PM
case=12454 is fixed in build 2059
feline Posted - Nov 28 2013 : 1:44:41 PM
Would selecting the visibility level in the dialogs really fix the issue?

Longer term we are hoping to make the insert logic try and place the new function next to the "current" function in the cpp file, using this as a reference point:

case=12454

Its a good plan, but also rather assumes that the ordering of functions in the header and cpp file is largely the same to begin with, an assumption that rarely holds in reality. I am wondering if this would make a more direct difference, or if this is just a nice but less important addition.
shiihs Posted - Nov 28 2013 : 08:37:31 AM
Hello,

Thanks for reading and replying.

I am aware about the outline features in VA. The source of my annoyance comes from having to "clean up" after VA's back all the time. (i.e. move stuf from whatever insert location was used to a private/public/protected section). It breaks "the flow".

I agree that the current menus are quite loaded, but perhaps it would make sense to make the menu configurable? Allow people to choose what to see in the top-level menu, and allow them to hide the less often used functionality in a submenu (similar to TortoiseSvn e.g.).

As for multiple blocks of public/private/protected:
I'm aware of that.

I think if VA could just add new things to either the first or last such block in the file, it might cover >50% of real-life use cases, whereas the current insert location seems a bit random at best, and probably works correctly in only 10% of the use cases? (Ok that's a bit harsh, probably because I don't know the current insert location selection logic. What is the current VA rule for choosing an insert location?

feline Posted - Nov 27 2013 : 6:25:13 PM
We are currently trying to keep the refactoring dialogs simple and fast to use. The design idea is that the operations can be chained together to produce the result you want.

Are you aware that you can quickly and easily move items from one visibility to another with VA Outline? You can drag with the mouse or use cut and paste. Also, in C++ you can easily have more than one public and private block in a class.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vaoutline.asp

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000