Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Refactor->Modify declaration (of variable)

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mordachai Posted - Feb 12 2013 : 12:30:44 PM
As we have the wonderful "Refactor->Change Signature", it would be sweet to have the same thing for variables.

mouse over one, right click, choose Refactor->Change Signature (or another command, if that is somehow confusing), and then be given a dialog in which the current type+name is specified. Change the type and or name, and the refactoring executes, with a VA Find References Results updated to show everything that referred to the now modified variable.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Feb 13 2013 : 6:43:49 PM
I have put in a feature request for this to see what to developers make of it.

case=72388
Mordachai Posted - Feb 12 2013 : 2:05:55 PM
class Foo {
Bar * pBar
};

refactor "Bar * pBar" -> "std::shared_ptr<Bar> pBar"

As it is - it's pretty trivial to just "go to" the declaration of pBar, then modify the class definition manually. Just seemed like "if I can do exactly that for a function signature, why not for a variable declaration?"

This is pure icing - just seemed like a nice feature for essentially close to zero effort (of course, it may be much more than zero effort - I don't know how similar the code could be for variables as compared to functions).
accord Posted - Feb 12 2013 : 1:53:39 PM
You can use the Rename command on variables to change their names (after or before you change the type in the editor). When you change the type, the references cannot be automatically updated, so a refactoring for this wouldn't give any extra. Or do I miss something?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000