Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 More C++ Refactoring

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
morfj Posted - Oct 18 2011 : 1:12:13 PM
I really wish there were more C++ refactoring commands. Some just off the top of my head:

When multiple multiple functions are selected in a class definition:
- G?Extract interfaceG? command that creates a new class/struct with the selected function definitions copied and changed to pure virtuals.

When caret on class name in header file:
- G?Move to new fileG? command. Typically after you have extracted a new interface.
- G?Rename file to match classG? command. Typically after a rename, since I want the filenames to match.

If there are any readily available macros that can do this, please point me in their direction :)
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dunemaster Posted - Dec 05 2012 : 12:54:01 AM
Rename file is very useful, thank you for implementing it.

I would add my vote for case=62267 : Rename file
support Posted - Sep 13 2012 : 2:02:49 PM
case=62267 is a duplicate of case=1463
case=1463 is implemented in build 1916
feline Posted - Oct 27 2011 : 6:11:14 PM
For now, you can use VA Outline to help you move the code to a new file:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vaoutline.asp

Just select the class, or code blocks you want to move in VA Outline, cut from VA Outline, and paste into the destination file.
hajokirchhoff Posted - Oct 27 2011 : 08:52:11 AM
+1 from me. Moving classes between source files is a very important step when I refactor code. I'd love to see some help from VisualAssist there. Even if you ignore the problems with source control systems it would still be very useful.
sean Posted - Oct 26 2011 : 4:11:45 PM
Good ideas!

case=62266 : Move to new file
case=62267 : Rename file
feline Posted - Oct 18 2011 : 4:03:09 PM
We are considering adding a refactoring command to extract an interface from a class:

case=30546

Unfortunately we don't have any plans to get involved with creating new code files or renaming code files. Adding code files is not clear cut since different people work with very different directory structures, so it would not be clear where to put the files. There is also the question of adding the files to source control.

Renaming files raises problems with source control systems, and risks loosing the change history for the file.

I am not aware of any IDE macro's to do either of these things, but you might find some by doing a web search.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000