Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA 2476: now it gets funny with sourcelink files

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Mar 15 2023 : 1:26:04 PM
to repro, write some C# .NET6 code with a reference to DateOnly, click on "Goto Implementation", will open the DateOnly.cs file from source link or decompiled sources.

C#, VS 17.5.2, .NET 6+
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 17 2023 : 3:28:26 PM
Any chance of getting both versions of the file, along with your current VA and IDE settings, plus the results from:

IDE Help menu -> About Microsoft Visual Studio -> Copy Info

which should list all of your installed extensions. I can try to reproduce here. Different VA settings is the first, obvious theory, but that doesn't make much sense to be honest.

If it was a VA symbol database problem the tests you have already done should have confirmed / fixed that.
Uniwares Posted - Mar 17 2023 : 2:03:29 PM
Now we are getting somewhere:
VS, no solution open, dropping file from C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\SourceServer\e0ef22a796f8a41c7991cd5a22dc103b9303a5c327a90c6de8d8da43981f750b\DateTime.cs into VS, Alt+M -> same result, weird BRC-100 operator entries

I started editing the file:

After I removed the #pragma warning lines, I finally got all entries back in the Alt+M list. Although there was a weird glitch, the first time I clicked on the dropdown button after removing the pragmas, the list opened and was all white, no content.

Seemingly there is some parsing bug with #pragma

Now you tell me why I get this only on one machine when both have the same versions and same settings.
feline Posted - Mar 17 2023 : 1:46:54 PM
What happens if you just open the IDE and open a copy of this file on its own? So it's not opened via Alt-G and its not coming from the SourceServer directory. Does this make any difference?

I am trying to eliminate variables here.
Uniwares Posted - Mar 17 2023 : 12:29:07 PM
Ok, I compared the files of DateTime.cs and DateOnly.cs (both .net6 and 7) between both machines, they are identical. So what is going on?
feline Posted - Mar 16 2023 : 2:18:59 PM
Can you easily copy out the file on the two machines, to compare / diff the two code files? VA Outline and the Alt-M list should both be file specific views. The surrounding solution should not matter for what is actually listed. The wider solution matters for how things are coloured, but unless there are macros to evaluate that impact if something is a function or not, just the current file should matter.

Since this is C#, not strange C++, if the files are basically identical then I would hope for basically identical behavour.
Uniwares Posted - Mar 16 2023 : 11:18:08 AM
No hitting (for now) but this occurs only on one machine, the other shows what you see too.
The path is as expected, coloring is fine, VA outline:

First I thought, it might have to do with .NET versions, but its the same for 6 and 7, even though the source files look slightly different.
What really throws me off, that I see different things on two machines configured identically.
Also tried to clear database and rebuild symbols, to no avail. Very strange thing. One last thing that comes to mind is that VS has different product options installed, pretty much complete on the machine with troubles, and limited to C#/Azure on the other.
feline Posted - Mar 16 2023 : 11:00:04 AM
Have you been hitting your machine with a stick again?

How is VA Outline looking in this file for you? Syntax colouring? I am wondering if this is limited to the Alt-M list, or if it is a wider effect.

Are you seeing a similar path for the file, or is your file being picked up from somewhere rather different?
Uniwares Posted - Mar 16 2023 : 08:50:24 AM
Dont tell me it works on yours. I know that Tell me why it doesn't work on my machines.
feline Posted - Mar 16 2023 : 08:38:36 AM
VS2022 version 17.5.2, VA 2476.0, using a C#11 console solution, which lets me compile new C# 11 features, so this should be the right version to test with. I added the C# code:

DateOnly localVar;

and Alt-G on the type "DateOnly" tames me to a file name "DateOnly.cs [SourceLink]", marked read only. Alt-M is nice and long:

the forum didn't like the file size of the full image, so I trimmed it. My Alt-M list has "Sort alphabetically" turned Off.

VA Outline also looks reasonable for the file.

VA definition field is giving me the file path:

C:\Users\Colin\AppData\Local\SourceServer\a353144a7bc26c7a02110b5d470dd165dbaea31f5123840bd4db6829cda81181\DateOnly.cs

and the file is 852 lines long.
Uniwares Posted - Mar 15 2023 : 1:49:21 PM
Seems to be a pattern with other types too. DateTime shows a few more operators but none of the dozens of methods.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000