Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Reloading solution modified outside VS hangs IDE

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlackPantsJones Posted - Nov 20 2022 : 09:15:20 AM
Hey all,

This isn't super duper horrible since there's a workaround, but I'm not sure if it's on your radar, so here it goes:

1) Open SLN in VS
2) Enter VA "Open File in Solution" dialog (or any other hovering dialog), keep it open
3) Tab away from VS
4) Modify a VCXPROJ or the SLN
5) Tab to VS, still has VA dialog open
6) VS detects modification to project, pops up dialog on top of VA's, asks to reload or ignore
7) Click "Reload"

The IDE is now completely frozen, and has to be closed via Task Manager.
Workaround is obviously to select "Ignore" when VS is asking, close the VA dialog and reload solution manually.

This happens occasionally for me since I generate my VS solutions. I often leave VS, run the generator, come back and reload without closing the IDE. Sometimes I still have one of VA's dialogs open, causing this slightly annoying freeze, which might even lose my edits if I'm unlucky. But usually I remember to select "Ignore", sidestepping the problem.

Thanks,
Johannes
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 23 2022 : 07:19:17 AM
Thank you for reporting it, definitely something to do with VA, and it is something we would like to get fixed fairly soon. Things that are this "individual" are obviously hard to pick up internally, unless you manage to run into them by accident Thankfully not something you are running into all of the time, which is good.
BlackPantsJones Posted - Nov 22 2022 : 3:42:40 PM
Excellent job in figuring this out, I didn't expect this to be such a tough one to chase...
Since it doesn't occur too often that I have both a SLN reload and a VA dialog open, it's not bothering me too much.
I thought I'd report it here, so it can be fixed for all users, if it's actually a problem within VA after all.
I might look into it at some point, and report back if I find something, but until then thanks for your support!
feline Posted - Nov 22 2022 : 12:01:40 PM
I have narrowed it down, its your Window layout that is the trigger. Specifically, when importing your IDE settings, I only need to import the single node:

General Settings -> Window Layouts

to trigger this problem. No idea why the window layout matters, but there we go:

case=148862

Thank you for the detailed instructions and the settings, I don't think I would have been able to reproduce this without them. If you are going to regularly edit the solution outside of the IDE you might want to try playing with your window layout, or just close and reload the solution after making a change.
feline Posted - Nov 22 2022 : 10:12:25 AM
I have the settings, thank you for this. Surprisingly enough it looks like the trigger is inside your IDE settings. I am now trying to narrow this down a bit more.
BlackPantsJones Posted - Nov 22 2022 : 08:40:49 AM
Sure, I sent those to you via email.
feline Posted - Nov 22 2022 : 06:51:13 AM
Thank you for the details, and the video. On the theory that this is a settings problem, can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me, along with the simple console test solution you tested with:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem.
BlackPantsJones Posted - Nov 21 2022 : 12:00:58 PM
Weird, for me it repros every time. I'm using a C++ Console App project just as you are. I captured it:

I just add an empty line at the end of the SLN. I go back to VS, reload, works fine. Then I pop up the Open File in Solution dialog, and do it again. This time, the IDE reloads the solution but afterwards the UI doesn't accept any mouse input at all, and after a bit it shows me the "hourglass" cursor and I have to kill the process.

It should happen for you as well, with the approach you described. I can only imagine that there's a setting in VS or VA that causes the difference?
feline Posted - Nov 21 2022 : 11:34:24 AM
I think, if you open a VCXPROJ with no matching SLN file, a SLN file is automatically created to go with the project file.

Testing with Windows 10 22H2, VS2022 17.3.6 and VA 2458.0, so far no sign of any problem like this, so very similar to your system.

What sort of edit are you making? Are you manually editing the VCXPROJ file? Or are you using a tool to generate a new, modified, version of the VCXPROJ file? Deleting a file reference, or renaming a file reference in a VCXPROJ file is easy enough, but I would be wary of making bigger edits personally.

Are you able to reproduce this when starting with a new, default C++ console solution? That would give me a good start point.

Since my simple tests didn't show this, I have tried the following. I have created a new, default C++ "Console App", which started with just a single cpp file. I added two new cpp files, "file_one.cpp" and "file_two.cpp" to the solution, and restarted VS2022 to make sure everything was saved correctly.

With the solution open, and VA's Open File dialog open, I opened the VCXPROJ file in notepad, deleted the single line:

<ClCompile Include="file_two.cpp" />

saved, and went back to the IDE. I selected "reload all". Still no problem.

Am I testing this correctly? If so, then either the nature of the edit matters, or perhaps the type of project you are editing.
BlackPantsJones Posted - Nov 21 2022 : 08:47:49 AM
I just noticed it only happens if the project is part of a SLN. If there's just a VCXPROJ opened in VS without a SLN the IDE doesn't freeze.
If a SLN is opened in VS, it doesn't matter if the SLN itself is changed or a VCXPROJ, or if I choose "Reload" or "Reload All" - the bug is triggered regardless.

EDIT: my bad, in the "just a VCXPROJ" case above I actually was opening a SLN too, it was just in a different directory. I was using an empty project though - perhaps that caused the bug to not reproduce. For the other case, I choose a ConsoleApplication with a dummy CPP file in it. Anyway, it seems to happen with some projects, and not with others. Hope you can figure it out! Thanks again
BlackPantsJones Posted - Nov 21 2022 : 08:36:05 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply!

quote:
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022
Version 17.3.6
VisualStudio.17.Release/17.3.6+32929.385
Visual Assist 10.9.2458.0

quote:
Also which version of Windows are you using?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
OS build 19043.2251

quote:
Are you editing the VCXPROJ file or the SLN file when this happens, or does it happen for both of them?

It happens for both, the dialog choices are different, but I'm seeing the same IDE freeze if I choose "Reload All" when I modify a VCXPROJ.
feline Posted - Nov 21 2022 : 07:34:30 AM
Thank you for the very clear description. Unfortunately, so far, I cannot reproduce this here.

Which IDE and version of VA are you using? It could well be that this matters for this bug.

Also which version of Windows are you using?

Are you editing the VCXPROJ file or the SLN file when this happens, or does it happen for both of them? I have been testing by modifying the VCXPROJ file.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000