Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 multi line search result

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
superzmy Posted - Aug 12 2022 : 03:08:29 AM
Some time I want to search one word / find referrence and watch 3 lines around it because code is multiline.
At the sametime I want to see the parent function name of the code.
I didn't find any editor that can do this.

void CallFoo()
{
int a = foo(1,
calc(), // search calc
xxxxxxxxxxxx);
}

When search calc() or find referrence of calc, I want see 3 line per searched line and "CallFoo()"
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Aug 22 2022 : 07:09:00 AM
I have added the idea of showing the preview for all of the results to case=66810, since that is about showing the preview directly in the results window.

As for a general search, we are considering the idea of letting Find References do a simple text search:

case=37933
superzmy Posted - Aug 19 2022 : 02:21:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Would you want this always visible, for all entries? This would make for a very cluttered results list, making it much harder to read through the results list. We are considering making the tooltip always visible in a preview window, that would show the surrounding lines for the currently selected result in the Find References Results list:

case=66810

Not only "Find Reference". Sometimes we want to search texts "pXXX->Foo(1".
And multiline results should be optional.
When under multiline results mode, each item should be splited by grey line or text line "---------------"
feline Posted - Aug 17 2022 : 07:04:20 AM
Would you want this always visible, for all entries? This would make for a very cluttered results list, making it much harder to read through the results list. We are considering making the tooltip always visible in a preview window, that would show the surrounding lines for the currently selected result in the Find References Results list:

case=66810
superzmy Posted - Aug 17 2022 : 06:52:20 AM
give user a textbox to set "1" (around) or "-1,+3" (1 line before and 3 line later)
feline Posted - Aug 17 2022 : 06:00:07 AM
Is there some rule for how many lines you want? This example basically means you want the rest of the function, since you cannot expect the return value to be used on the next line, or only on the next line. Which basically means you need to jump to the result to see the full context and details. Or are you thinking of some clever rule to tell us how many lines you want to see?
superzmy Posted - Aug 16 2022 : 3:35:21 PM
sometime I want 3 line, sometime I want more.

-------------------------------------------------
void parentFunc() // funcname is also needed.
{
int ret = foo(); // search "foo("
proc(ret); // and to see how to use the var "ret"
}
feline Posted - Aug 16 2022 : 10:31:35 AM
The multi-line function call is covered by case=62786, if that is the focus here.
Uniwares Posted - Aug 16 2022 : 09:09:02 AM
Sounds like a Find that understands context of the found item and shows the surrounding of the result depending on the context.
feline Posted - Aug 15 2022 : 11:03:30 AM
What, exactly, are you looking for here? We are considering a feature for Find References so that when the matching line is part of a multi-line function call, the entire function call will be shown in the results window. But this is not always going to be 3 lines, this is just how ever many lines it takes to show the function call. In your example you have a multi-line function call, which covers 3 lines, and you are asking for 3 lines.

case=62786

for a general text search, we are considering the idea of letting Find References do a simple text search:

case=37933
superzmy Posted - Aug 12 2022 : 12:18:49 PM
I want the 3 lines are expanded in views.
And some time I want to search a piece of text insteading of symbol.
feline Posted - Aug 12 2022 : 04:44:44 AM
VA's Find References does most / all of this already:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W189

Run Find References on "calc()" and the function / scope of each result will be shown at the start of the result line. Assuming you have tooltips enabled, when you hover the mouse over the result then the tooltip will show the surrounding lines of code for each result, so you can get a sense of how the code looks.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000