Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA Multi-instance Shared Clipboard

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
foxmuldr Posted - Jul 18 2022 : 4:15:54 PM
Would it be possible to add an option for a new keystroke like Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V, which then draws on all of the clipboard rings of all of the instances of VA running in all of the open Visual Studio instances?

If there were three instances, it would show the top entry from each instance first, then the second entry from each, and so on. If there are duplicates it would combine them.

It would save time sometimes.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 19 2022 : 11:40:53 AM
That makes sense, and I have made it clear that you are only looking for information from other instances of the IDE to be merged into the VA clipboard history. I know the clipboard data has extra data attached to it, so it is possible the source program is part of that data. If it was, then that would let you decide if you wanted to add it to the clipboard history. But that's just a thought on the subject.

I wouldn't worry to much about the sample app, unless you want to for your own purposes. VA already does some communicating between different processes, one example being Code Inspection, which uses different processes.
foxmuldr Posted - Jul 19 2022 : 09:37:27 AM
The VA clipboard is persistent regardless of what else goes through the Windows clipboard when VA is not running. It also appears to be unique per project, which is ideal.

If possible, I think VA's shared clipboard should be kept separate and merged from among the running instances. As an option, if the user wants to also pull in the general Windows clipboard history then that's fine too, but it should be an option and not the solution.

If you want, I can create a template app showing how multiple separate processes can communicate with each other and answer requests from one another to convey the clipboard information like this.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
feline Posted - Jul 19 2022 : 06:47:12 AM
We are considering doing this, merging the current Windows clipboard into VA's clipboard history:

case=8436

As an alternative, are you aware of the Windows Key + V windows command, which is a global clipboard history? The first time you use this you will probably have to turn it on, before it will start storing your clipboard history, but I find it a useful complement when working between programs.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000