Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Install VA_X cause VS2022 error

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aric Posted - Jun 22 2022 : 12:18:16 AM
When I reinstall VS2022 17.0.32602.120, then install VS_X 2451, the VS will pop up the waring, and can't be uninstall, only can reset VS.

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 05 2022 : 11:31:23 AM
Well, it is "good" this can be reproduced so easily, but really concerning that this happens in a test profile, since this rules out the "normal" causes of a problem like this.

Can you please close the test profile, then load it with logging enabled, so use the command:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest /log c:\src\vs2022log.xml

if you specify a path and name for the log file it is a lot easier to find. Can you please send me the log file, hopefully it will offer some clues as to what is going on here.

Another option is to load Visual Studio Installer and on the entry for VS2022 use the More button with the pull down list, and do a repair of your IDE install. Sadly I don't expect this to help, but it shouldn't take to long, if you have the time to try it. An uninstall and reinstall should have fixed things if it was this simple, but it's worth suggesting.
mschumi Posted - Jul 05 2022 : 10:05:05 AM
Yes! I can reproduce it in the test profile. And my VS2022 still works in the default profile.

- I have no other extensions installed besides Visual Assist? I see only the defaults that came with the fresh VS installation.
- The hash value of my VA_X installer exe is correct
- I installed the vsix as you told me
- When I start with devenv /RootSuffix VATest, I get the popups; here comes a selection of what could not be loaded:
MEF Service Broker Package
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.EditorPackage
Background long Idle package
Visual C++ Project System Package

- When I start with devenv only, everything is fine (except for the missing VA_X :-) )

So I'm happy we can test the problems without having to re-install VS2022 after every test.

Do you already have ideas what I should do next?

Best regards,
Michael
feline Posted - Jul 05 2022 : 08:56:30 AM
I am not sure what is going on here. Based on a couple of other reports, I would have suggested a corruption problem, of some sort, in your default profile. The problem with this theory is that it should not survive uninstalling and reinstalling VS2022. But whatever is going on here is surviving the reinstall.

A first check, can you please check the checksum of the exe installer you have downloaded. If you are not sure how to generate this, the following powershell command will generate the SHA256 checksum:

Get-FileHash VA_X_Setup2451_0.exe -Algorithm SHA256

the expected hash value is:

0D2854681CA59DA2DD375D2B25986DF5093E43A6376390070AEC6A9DFE290B07

VA is installed under your IDE profile, so the install files will be removed when you uninstall / reinstall VA. To delete the registry keys you just need to delete:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Whole Tomato\Visual Assist X\VANet17
there aren't any VS2022 specific entries above this level, and if you delete the parent director you may well have to re-register your license.

Do you have any other extensions installed besides Visual Assist? Any utilities or programs installed that might effect things? I am just looking for clues here, since what ever is going wrong here is remarkably resilient.

Don't rush to reinstall VA via the exe installer, I don't think it will help. Can you please download the VS2022 specific installer from:

https://downloadfiles.idera.com/WholeTomato/VA_X_Setup2451_0_x64.vsix

I am going to get you to create a new, default test profile, and install VA there, and see if you get the same result or a different result. You need extra details about the IDE install to do this, which you get from running:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\vswhere.exe"

There will be a set of lines for each different version of Visual Studio that you have installed. For VS2022 you want the "productPath", "dispalyName" and "installationVersion" lines, e.g.

productPath: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
displayName: Visual Studio Professional 2022
installationVersion: 17.2.32516.85

You can then use the information from these three lines to make sure that the following command has the correct command line parameters. The values are:

/appidname: = displayName:
/appidinstallpath: = productPath:
/skuVersion = installationVersion:

The "/skuName:" value is one of "Community / Pro / Enterprise", note for the Professional version it is "Pro", not the expected "Professional".

The working command, for VS2022, using the values above, is - split into lines to make it easier to read and edit:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe"
/appidinstallpath:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"
/skuName:Pro
/appidname:"Visual Studio Professional 2022"
/skuVersion:17.2.32516.85
/rootSuffix:"VATest" "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Downloads\VA_X_Setup2451_0_x64.vsix"

The "rootSuffix" is the name of the test profile you want to install to, and this will be created if it does not already exist. The final parameter is the path of the VSIX installer for Visual Assist that you want to install. Once you have the command set up, the only parts you should need to edit are the skuVersion and the path to the VSIX file, can you please close all instances of Visual Studio and run this command.

Running this command installs VA into the test profile, but it does not load the test profile. If you created the test profile by installing VA, when you run the test profile it will be using the default IDE settings, without asking you which settings you want to use.

To now load the test profile, with VA installed, you use the command:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

To load your normal, default profile just load the IDE normally. To return to this test profile again, pass the /RootSuffix command line switch when loading the IDE. You can run both profiles at the same time, next to each other. In VS2019 and VS2022 the profile name will be shown just under the close button, in the top right hand corner of the main IDE window. If you export your IDE settings from your main profile you can them import them into the test profile.

Even if you see the same problem in the test profile, this will let us study the problem without causing further problems for you default VS2022 profile.
mschumi Posted - Jul 05 2022 : 07:45:47 AM
Hi,
I got quite the same problem:
- Until yesterday, I worked with VS2022, 17.2.2 and VisualAssist from VA_X_Setup2443_0.exe, with no problems.
- Yesterday there was a prompt in my VS2022, 17.2.2: "New Visual Assist Version Available" and I installed via VA_X_Setup2451_0.exe for VS2010, 2013, 2017, 2019 and 2022.
- Installation started for 2022. During the installation I remembered that a VS2022 instance was still running and I closed it.
- The Visual Assist installation prompted "Installation succeeded" for each of the VS versions
Then I restarted the VS2022
- Several "The ... package did not load correctly" message boxes (such as Aric posted one above) popped up
- When I tried to load my c++ solution, there was a "could not load the project" message for every project
- Under Extensions / Manage Extensions no installed extension was shown (that means there was no chance for me to uninstall Visual Assist because it was of course missing also).
I finally uninstalled VS2022 and reinstalled
- After re-installation the "Installed" list in Manage Extensions was filled with the extensions pre-installed by VS
- I could load my c++ solution
- Now I tried to install the latest Visual Assist again for VS2022 via VA_X_Setup2451_0.exe; I ran into the same problems as before
Then I did the same procedure again: VS2022 uninstall/re-install, with calling the previous installer VA_X_Setup2443_0.exe: I still ran into the same problems as before
Obviously there are remainings of the 2451 VA_X install which cannot be overwritten by the older install.

At the moment I am working without Visual Assist. Maybe it is possible to get rid of really *all* of the VA_X remainings (registry and disk). After that I hopefully could try to install the previous VA_X version.
My next idea is re-installing windows...

Any help from the support team is very much appreciated.

Best regards,
Michael
feline Posted - Jun 23 2022 : 06:56:41 AM
I am seeing an extension called "ML.NET Model Builder 2022", assuming this is the one you mean, here:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=MLNET.ModelBuilder2022

no obvious options to download an older version, and it is already installed in VS2022 for me, as part of my default VS2022 install.

So far no sign of any problems here.

Do you have any other extensions installed?

It is possible this is down to a problem in your default profile, which we can test if you see this problem again, and have time to run some tests.
Codeplug Posted - Jun 22 2022 : 2:56:41 PM
I just started getting this today as well. I would get several dialogs for "XXX package did not load correctly". I tried all the usual tricks like devenv /clearcache, /updateconfiguration, /setup, /resetuserdata, but nothing helped. I did a full repair and it was working again but with no extensions. So next I got the latest VA, 2451, and installed it - problem came back.

When things were working yesterday, I was running VA 2443. The last thing I did yesterday was an extension update that showed up in my Notifications for "MI.NET Model Builder 2022".

I've since uninstalled and re-installed VS2022 and that "MI.NET Model Builder" is back in my Notifications (but I dismissed it this time). I then reinstalled VA 2451 to VS2022 and everything is working normally. Hope this helps with a repro.

gg

VA_X64.dll file version 10.9.2451.0 built 2022.04.30
DevEnv.exe version 17.2.32616.157 Professional
msenv.dll version 17.0.32602.167
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.19041.1110
Windows 10 10.0 2009 Build 19044.1766
4 processors (x86-64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409
feline Posted - Jun 22 2022 : 09:00:09 AM
This obviously should not be happening. As a first step, can you please run the command:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /SafeMode

if you are not using the Professional version of VS2022 you will need to edit the path to the version you are using. This should load the IDE in safe mode, and let you go into the dialog:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

and disable Visual Assist. This will take an IDE restart to take full effect. Does the IDE now load normally, without any problems, with VA disabled? I would expect it to, but I don't understand what has caused this problem.

If the IDE does load correctly, can you please try going back into the dialog:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

and enable Visual Assist again, and again restart VS2022. Occasionally there are odd errors like this that are fixed by disabling, restarting, enabling and restarting again. So it is possible this will help.

If you still get the error message, could you please send me the ActvityLog.xml file that the message lists? Hopefully this will offer some clues as to why you are seeing this problem. Please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000