Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Unreal UPROPERTY still causes extra tab?

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sitnduck Posted - Jan 26 2022 : 09:34:10 AM
I know it's probably something I missed, but I thought the latest versions would get rid of "annoying tabs" when writing UPROPERTY code.

Writing the following:
UPROPERTY()
hello

works great (no extra tab), however if I PASTE code instead of writing "hello", an extra tab gets added. :(

This is extra annoying when pasting multiple UPROPERTY's, each one gets that extra tab.

Is this due to some other setting that is adding a tab somewhere?

Thanks!
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sitnduck Posted - Mar 13 2023 : 7:50:44 PM
Hi!I just noticed the latest patch notes mentioned that case=141666 is fixed, can't wait to try it! :) Thank you for listening to the feedback!
feline Posted - Aug 19 2022 : 06:14:09 AM
This is still down as a high priority fix, and we haven't forgotten about this. We just haven't gotten to it yet. I have made a note on the case that you are still looking forward to a fix for this.

Have you tried the regular expression search and replace at the start of this thread? This should work well, or could be set up as a command or script to run on demand for the current file.
sitnduck Posted - Aug 18 2022 : 09:33:17 AM
Hi! I just upgraded to the latest and I think it's still not implemented so I wanted to check if there was any progress on this.

I know it feels trivial, but I want to reiterate it's a multiple-time-daily annoyance that would be fantastic to see resolved, well-deserving of a "high priority fix" status. :)

Thank you!
sitnduck Posted - Mar 08 2022 : 11:15:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

We are hoping to look at this fairly soon, but unfortunately no progress to report yet, and no current estimate, but yes, this is down as a high priority fix.

This thread should also be updated when we release the fix for this.

Thanks for the update, it's appreciated! Good to know the thread will be updated, I'll look for it.

Cheers
feline Posted - Mar 08 2022 : 09:16:58 AM
We are hoping to look at this fairly soon, but unfortunately no progress to report yet, and no current estimate, but yes, this is down as a high priority fix.

This thread should also be updated when we release the fix for this.
sitnduck Posted - Mar 08 2022 : 07:22:16 AM
Hi! Just checking in on this, as I yet again pasted a couple of blocks of code with UPROPERTY'ies I needed to go back in and re-re-fix.

As you mentioned this is not publicly trackable but was high priority so I have my hopes up. :)

Thank you!
sitnduck Posted - Jan 27 2022 : 10:07:25 AM
Haha I used to fear RE's myself but have found them to be incredibly useful. In this particular case though, it's mostly a workflow issue as it's a similar effort to manually remove the tab as to fire a replace macro. So ideally neither would be required. :)
feline Posted - Jan 27 2022 : 10:03:33 AM
p.s. I am tempted to say "show no fear in the face of regular expressions", but that would be rather foolish, given how many different engines there seem to be
feline Posted - Jan 27 2022 : 10:02:46 AM
The case number references our bug tracker, also our support emails. Unfortunately it isn't publicly viewable, but this is down as a fairly high priority case, and we are hoping to look at it soon. Hopefully it won't be to difficult to get the IDE formatting to cooperate...
sitnduck Posted - Jan 27 2022 : 09:04:09 AM
Haha thanks... yeah... I'll wait for you guys to fix everything. ;)

BTW Where is the issue tracker you mentioned "case=141666".

Cheers
feline Posted - Jan 27 2022 : 07:08:04 AM
Sadly it is a manual find and replace, but there are tools that can be set to run a find and replace on a file automatically, either on schedule or on command. Obviously the details would depend on what tools you want to use.

If you had this set up as some form of script file you could set up calling the script from the IDE. Just be careful to test that any tool you use interprets the regular expression how you expect.
sitnduck Posted - Jan 26 2022 : 8:31:50 PM
Thanks, yeah that's what I thought; something else in the IDE cleaning up things.

You mentioned "Regular expression IDE", and the expression you listed makes sense. Is this some automated system, or do you just mean a generic search-and-replace to perform to clean things up after the fact? (I fear it's the latter, Just making sure!)
feline Posted - Jan 26 2022 : 10:47:56 AM
Unfortunately exactly the same problem happens without VA installed. VA tries to fix the indenting as you type, but what you are seeing when you copy / paste is the IDE's formatting being applied to the code.

We are considering getting involved in the IDE formatting for Unreal Engine to fix this:

case=141666

For now, I did work out the following Regular Expression IDE find and replace command that cleans up the formatting. Search for:

^([ \t]+)((UCLASS|UINTERFACE|USTRUCT|UFUNCTION|UPROPERTY)\(.*)\n([ \t])+(\w)

and replace it with:

$1$2\n$1$5

it might work the same in other editors, but that depends on the details of how regular expressions are handled, and the IDE find and replace regex syntax is rather unusual.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000