Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS 2022 Preview incremental search broken, F4 also

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hajokirchhoff Posted - Sep 02 2021 : 06:20:14 AM
This seems to be a VisualAssist problem, not a Visual Studio 2022 preview. When I start the IDE with devenv.exe /safemode to disable all extensions, this problem goes away. The only extension I have installed is VisualAssist. This is with all the lastest versions (VS 2022 Preview 3.1 and the most recent VAssist build).

Pressing Ctrl+I opens the �find� box and immediately starts searching.

This works fine for the first three, four or five characters, but then it leaves search mode and the next characters immediately delete the selection and start typing.

It is as if a timeout for IncrementalSearch has expired and IncrementalSearch is deactivated - but only momentarily. If I wait one or two seconds after the fourth character and continue typing, IncrementalSearch continues searching.

As if I was typing �too fast� for IncrementalSearch.

Or, to put it the other way round: IncrementalSearch works only if I type slowly. One character per second. If I type faster, the characters do not go to IncrementalSearch, but replace the selection in the editor instead.

Perhaps two different mechanisms fight for the character input?

Probably connected is the following issue: F4 does not work as it should.

When I "find all references" or compile and view the list of errors or the output, pressing F4 should jump to the next entry. Problem is, when I press F4 once, it _does_ jump to the next entry but somehow focuses on the editor now. Pressing F4 again does not do anything - until I click on the output/error list/find references panel first.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hajokirchhoff Posted - Sep 03 2021 : 04:34:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisG

The issue you noted with IncrimentalSearch seems to also be a Visual Studio 2022 Preview issue. We are able to reproduce with Visual Assist disabled in the extension manager.

In that case you might want to comment or reopen the issue I created in the Visual Studio Feedback system. https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/EditIncrementalSearch-is-broken/1517202#T-N1521289

I was not able to reproduce the problem when I ran devenv.exe /safemode. I did not however try to "disable" the Visual Assist extension.
ChrisG Posted - Sep 02 2021 : 8:16:01 PM
The issue you noted with IncrimentalSearch seems to also be a Visual Studio 2022 Preview issue. We are able to reproduce with Visual Assist disabled in the extension manager.
ChrisG Posted - Sep 02 2021 : 5:24:56 PM
We can reproduce the issue with incremental search and have case 146152 open to address it.

The F4 issue is an issue with Visual Studio 2022 Preview that should be fixed in the next update.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/EditGoToNextLocation-stops-working-when/1507362

Thank you for taking the time to report these issues!

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000