Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 UE4/5 _Validate RPC

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
trdwll Posted - Aug 16 2021 : 09:29:59 AM
Can you fix the _Validate method to default return true?

This isn't a big deal, but I figured I'd see if you could add this in the next update as it's something small.

Thanks
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Aug 17 2021 : 1:09:42 PM
This is actually reasonable. I have put in a feature request for a separate VA refactoring Snippet to control the generated code for the _Validate version of the function when you use Create Implementation:

case=146109

if / when this is done, you would then be able to set the snippet so that the function defaults to return true, and perhaps throws a piece of logging, or an assert, to remind you to actually check this is what you intend.
trdwll Posted - Aug 17 2021 : 11:14:05 AM
Preferably all. Not sure if this would be an ideal feature for VAX. Mainly I thought about this, because when you override a method via Implement Virtual Methods it will add a Super call.
In my experience with _Validate methods we just return true, but still, do some verification in our _Validate in certain circumstances. Really this is just me being lazy and not wanting to write return true for my _Validate methods.

Even if you don't want to have this added is there currently a way to do this when I generate the implementation?
feline Posted - Aug 17 2021 : 08:43:54 AM
Are you looking for all _Validate functions to return true by default, or are you after a change that is limited to just a few _Validate functions?
trdwll Posted - Aug 17 2021 : 04:19:41 AM
When you make an RPC like below and run create implementation it only generates the method like below.

UFUNCTION(Server, Reliable, WithValidation)
void ServerRPC();

void AClass::ServerRPC_Implementation()
{

}

bool AClass::ServerRPC_Validate()
{

}

What I'm asking is to add return true to the _Validate method by default when the method is created.
feline Posted - Aug 16 2021 : 1:35:26 PM
I really don't understand what you are asking for here. VA tries to help you write your code, and navigate it, but we don't have a say in the default behaviour of Unreal Engine its self. Is that what you are asking about here?

Doing a search for symbols containing both RPC and Validate brings me to the file "UnrealNetwork.h" and the macro:

RPC_VALIDATE( expression )

which is defined to return false. If you want this to return true you can just edit this file and recompile Unreal Engine.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000