Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 VA Call Hierarchy Browser

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CliffyP Posted - Jan 31 2016 : 4:01:51 PM
Ive been using VA for a while, and think its really good.

One thing I think would be great to add is a functional call hierarchy browser feature.

In standard vis studio, they have this feature called Call Hierarchy. Where you r-click on a symbol and do view call hierarchy and then it shows the callers and callees, and you can drill down and/or up.

The problem with it is that it does not work properly 90% of the time for cpp code bases. I don't know why, but ms just doesnt seem to care about making it fully functioning for cpp.

Since VA is all cpp centric, this seems like a good functionality to have in the plugin since vis studio aint delivering it properly. The UI/Interface of the standard call hierarchy feature they have is.. ideal to me (albiet it could utilize the VA colorization), the only problem is that it does not return the correct results for cpp projects (especially the Calls To 'symbol').

Seems like you could just use the existing VA find references functionality (filtered to callers only) to fill out the Calls To field, while the Calls From field should be easy. Wrap it all in your fancy colorization, and then youll have a very useful new feature.
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 15 2022 : 09:17:14 AM
Thank you for your interest, I have noted this on the case.
peterchen Posted - Nov 14 2022 : 11:07:26 AM
Me too, too! :)

Would love to see this feature.
feline Posted - Feb 08 2022 : 11:19:47 AM
Unfortunately no updates at the moment, but this is down as something we are quite interested in looking at. So it is good to know that you are also interested in this.
Elidepa Posted - Feb 08 2022 : 06:59:28 AM
Hey, are there any updates on this issue? If not, please add my upvote to it too.
feline Posted - Apr 19 2021 : 08:53:15 AM
Thank you for the vote, I have noted this on the case. Knowing which features our users are interested in always helps us to prioritise feature requests.
OmegaNemesis28 Posted - Apr 16 2021 : 4:43:04 PM
Upvote
accord Posted - Oct 13 2019 : 5:46:25 PM
I've added your vote to the case, thank you.
DWS Posted - Oct 12 2019 : 12:34:38 PM
Hello, please add my "vote" to this feature request. Thank you! -- Dave
feline Posted - Aug 10 2018 : 08:15:54 AM
Unfortunately no, we are still aware of this, but it's not something we are focusing on at the moment. There are a lot of feature requests that we are considering, and we have to choose between them somehow, and currently this is having to wait.
TomJons Posted - Aug 10 2018 : 04:28:45 AM
Hey, is there any updates to Call Hierarchy in Visual Assist?
feline Posted - Feb 26 2016 : 12:34:02 PM
Thank you for the links, and I do appreciate it is not just you who is interested in this feature. Still, this is not as popular a request as some others. That's not everything, but it is one of the factors we consider.
TomJons Posted - Feb 26 2016 : 04:16:41 AM
I collected several posts from forum to show that this feature is not only important for me but it is important for community.
feline Posted - Feb 25 2016 : 10:15:06 PM
We are still considering this, and hoping to look at it sooner rather than later. But if you look around the forums you will see that there are a lot of different feature requests, and also quite a few bug reports, despite our best efforts.

Different people want different features, and have different priorities, so working out which features to prioritise is not always easy. I see this is important to you, and this is good to know, it helps us when deciding what to focus on next.
TomJons Posted - Feb 25 2016 : 08:49:33 AM
I found some other posts connecting to call hierarchy:

http://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12422&SearchTerms=call,hierarchy
http://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9934&SearchTerms=call,hierarchy
http://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12418&SearchTerms=call,hierarchy

Why VAX Team does not want to implement it since 2013? I can only read: consider this feature at some point.. It is very important feature and eclipse already had it. It is not as hard as it seems to be

Below I tried to put all requirements in one place:
- call hierarchy should have a tree structure with collapsing nodes: Double click on any tree node will move user to usage place
A:
> B:
> > E:
> > > F
> > > G
> C
> D

and when I collapse B:
A:
> B
> C
> D

- lazy loading while opening nodes (running VA Find All References on it )
- embedding new results with existing results (never create new window for new results)

A - could be member or method, run VA Find References on A

A:
> B
> C
> D

Then if I open B - run VA Find References on B
A:
> B:
> > E
> C
> D

Then if I open E - run VA Find References on E
A:
> B:
> > E:
> > > F
> > > G
> C
> D

- show only callers in call hierarchy view. MS VS support also callees but I think show callees are not usful.
- use existing functionality (VAX Find All References)

TomJons Posted - Feb 15 2016 : 05:11:01 AM
Yes it is what Im looking for. Thx feline
feline Posted - Feb 12 2016 : 11:24:57 AM
You might want to use the "Subscribe to Topic" link at the top of this page, so you get emailed when a new post appears, which will help you keep an eye on this.
TomJons Posted - Feb 12 2016 : 06:13:43 AM
Thx for your work accord. If VAX Team does any progress in this case please inform me about it. I'm not checking this forum too often so I think e-mail will be better way.
accord Posted - Feb 11 2016 : 5:29:45 PM
Just an idea: I assigned shortcuts for VAssistX.ScopeNext and VAssistX.ScopePrevious so when I want to jump to the place where a method is called from it's definition I just press my shortcut for VAssistX.ScopePrevious. This only works when the call and its definition is in the same file, but when I'm implementing a class (or more related class in the same file), this works quite well.
http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W190
accord Posted - Feb 11 2016 : 3:23:31 PM
I have added your idea to the case, but without lazy expanding it would be really slow in some cases, I think.

At any rate, I have increased the priority of this case, hopefully it will help a little bit.

For now, you can use the clone feature of VA Find References, as a workaround. That way you can easily get back to your original results any time you want.
TomJons Posted - Feb 11 2016 : 05:54:51 AM
Hmm, Mayby VAX Team could implement in next release the easiest version of call hierarchy based on existing functionality like CliffyP said?

Tree view:
A - could be member or method, run VA Find References on A

A:
> B
> C
> D

Then if I open B - run VA Find References on B
A:
> B:
> > E
> C
> D

Then if I open E - run VA Find References on E
A:
> B:
> > E:
> > > F
> > > G
> C
> D

That's all. Running VA Find References on chosen objects and put it in the one window together, in tree structure.

I think this way of call hierarchy in VAX will not be hard to implement. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
accord Posted - Feb 09 2016 : 7:24:39 PM
Our bug database is not public, but you are welcome to ask about the state. We didn't make any progress on this yet but I added your "vote" to the case.
TomJons Posted - Feb 09 2016 : 09:59:04 AM
Where can I find the state/progress of this issue? I can not wait for when I will be able to use call hierarchy with VAX
accord Posted - Jan 31 2016 : 4:40:43 PM
We are considering to implement this at some point:

case=54126

We appreciate your feedback.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000