Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA 2399: VS 16.9.3 update

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Mar 30 2021 : 6:31:57 PM
Seems that the editor is becoming more and more complicated for VA with every update. Previously I have seen the below effect happening very rarely, now it has become frequent.
When VS now opens an C# editor window, it takes quite a bit, and you have put your focus somewhere else, like in the Solution Explorer, then the VA nav bar simple doesn't get drawn until you click into the editor window.
The fragments you see where the VA bar should be is a result of the editor window resizing because VA has put the bar in, but it doesnt get drawn.

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Apr 01 2021 : 06:36:07 AM
Under "normal" conditions VA does not reserve any space at the top of the editor window until it draws its navigation bar. So the fact that you are seeing these fragments suggests that VA thinks it should be showing its navigation bar, which matches what I am seeing here with your settings, but somehow its not managing to draw it correctly until focus enters the editor.

If you try moving the navigation bar to the bottom of the editor window, does this make any difference? It will be visually wrong, since it will be in the wrong location, I am just wondering if the position has any effect on things.
Uniwares Posted - Mar 31 2021 : 08:59:06 AM
As soon as I put the focus on an editor window, all is normal again. I have seen that before but very seldom. Now it seems to be constant, whenever "something" opens a code file and does not put the focus on it => no VA bar visible (and screen fragments left over on its place). With "something" I mean any action that opens a code file or any extension that opens a code file.
Not really blaming VA here, as many of the issues in the last time are clearly VS issues (hell, the 16.9.3 update had 654 fixes included).
To me it just seems that its getting more and more difficult to have VA do its job right.
feline Posted - Mar 31 2021 : 08:32:38 AM
The navigation bar not appearing until you place keyboard focus into the editor is a known thing. I am not quite sure if this is "by design" or just how it has always worked, but this bit is familiar.

The display update when the navigation bar gets drawn follows from this, but normally isn't that obvious. Normally I only see this happening when first loading the IDE, since once I have loaded the IDE and placed focus into a code file, there is always a code file with a visible navigation bar.

Having said that, I have just updated to VS2019 version 16.9.3 on my system with all of your settings and extensions, and when I restart VS2019, with a .cs file open in the editor, when the IDE finishes loading, keyboard focus is already in the editor window and VA's navigation bar is showing. I do see it being drawn during the IDE load, but it ends up displayed correctly for me every time.

The problem here, obviously, is that the navigation bar isn't getting drawn for you. Is this a "brief" problem, a second or two while VA draws the navigation bar, or is this an ongoing problem, where VA is just unable to draw the navigation bar for you in your C# code?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000