Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA 2393: HCB shows duplicates?

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Nov 16 2020 : 07:30:06 AM
class definition is:
internal class CuttingOperation : Operation

and the base class is:
public class Operation : IDisposable

Solution with seven C# 8.0 projects, .NET 4.8,
Referenced assemblies:
assemblyref://Interop.CoreScanner&
assemblyref://Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common&
assemblyref://Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel&
assemblyref://Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms&
assemblyref://Microsoft.VisualBasic&
assemblyref://SecuBSPMx.NET&
assemblyref://System&
assemblyref://System.Configuration&
assemblyref://System.Core&
assemblyref://System.Data.Linq&
assemblyref://System.Management&
assemblyref://System.ServiceProcess&
assemblyref://System.Xml.Linq&
assemblyref://System.Data.DataSetExtensions&
assemblyref://Microsoft.CSharp&
assemblyref://System.Data&
assemblyref://System.Deployment&
assemblyref://System.Drawing&
assemblyref://System.Net.Http&
assemblyref://System.Windows.Forms&
assemblyref://System.Xml&projref://ExcelReader&projref://Lynx&projref://FingerPrintReaderBase&projref://SecuGenReader&projref://KeyboardControl&
assemblyref://mscorlib

*edited to add new lines*
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Uniwares Posted - Nov 18 2020 : 08:52:34 AM
Dont you love it to be special? hahahaha, well something is interfering anyway. Hope you (Wholetomato) figures it out.
feline Posted - Nov 18 2020 : 08:48:47 AM
OK, I have managed to reproduce the duplicate entries in HCB problem for classes defined in the current solution. I did this by triggering the strange VA corrupted symbol database that can happen when a C# project uses NuGet packages

case=142203

so far you seem to be the only person who has run into this problem, and it is probably related to at least some of the other problems you are seeing. I have added notes about this problem to the bug report.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 1:16:46 PM
Multitasking and a slow compiler are the secrets. The real question is why do I have to keep you busy (with stuff that already worked once)?
feline Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 1:11:28 PM
I do wonder how you have the time to keep me so busy! :) It's a sport you are very good at!
Uniwares Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 12:28:37 PM
Cant say at the moment, but will have an eye on it. You know, occasionally I have to do paid work too VA Bug hunting is just a sport.
feline Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 12:20:53 PM
The system.object duplicates seem to be a separate case to the duplicates from your own classes. Doing file searches for the dll's is just getting me massive numbers of hits, so this doesn't seem to be helping at all. Probably best to leave this for the developers to approach from the code side.

Looking into the duplicates in your class, I have an older solution from you, and looking at that, I randomly picked the file "NeedleChange.cs", which contains the namespace "Q7.Database.Objects.Production"

Showing this namespace in VA View lists 20 component classes, and I am not seeing any duplicates in any of their direct members. Are the duplicates in your classes stable after the symbol database rebuild and IDE restart? This is something that, in theory, we should be able to pin down and make sense of.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 11:46:53 AM
So, working again now after restarting VS. I get still the same result. char[255] between entries, 6 copies of all methods, etc.
Concentrating on System.Diagnostics (but not limited to), I get in all kinds of solutions, .NET versions, VS versions, the very same result:

and copying to Notepad++:

The char[255] is visible in other editors too that support pasting the full range of characters.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 11:30:30 AM
I think I pissed it off. Now the HCB isnt showing me anything anymore in my .NET 4.8 solution. No symbol at all. But it works fine in the .NET Core 3.1 solution. This started after I cleaned the DB.
Also I noticed now that VA is definitely importing the .net packs after clearing the DB from "C:\Program Files\dotnet\packs", shows up in the status bar when launching VS.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 11:19:51 AM
As for .Net versions installed, I have .Net Core 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1, .NET 5.0, .NET Framework 2.0 up to 4.8, so pretty much all versions. From what I can see, when you have a .NET core solution, only the .NET Core and Standard libraries are available in VS. This might be a reason.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 11:12:04 AM
Basically yes thats what I did. Guess you chose an unlucky assembly, this one might be delivered with each app and not installed in the GAC. Try the Microsoft.EntityFramework*.dll, or System.Windows.Forms.dll or the System.Diagnostics
feline Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 11:06:23 AM
Let's assume I have no idea what I am doing here

Doing a file system search across the entire C: drive on one of my test machines for all files called "Microsoft.CSharp.dll" has returned 156 items. Clearly this isn't what you mean.

Based on the paths of the files, I have, among others, the following .NET frameworks installed, 4.0, 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7.2, so 8 versions just there.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 10:56:35 AM
See this from my larger project:

And when copying from those:
public DbSet<Label> Labels{...}
Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.DbSet<Q7.Database.Objects.Production.Label> Labels

Its consistent, but where it comes from? There is only one. And as you see, even the comments are the same. The one with the file info, i can goto, the other not.
In this case, there is no other copy of the assembly either, just a debug one. I rebuilt VAs DB, cleared history and cache, still duplicates for my own code here.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 10:47:42 AM
Did a simple search for the DLLs, some of them are in the ".net packs" C:\Program Files\dotnet\packs, seems to apply only to the .NET standard and core.
feline Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 10:44:35 AM
How are you finding the "Referenced assemblies:" information?

Trying to figure out how many versions I have in the GAC, I ended up on this page:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19980650/where-is-the-location-of-gac#19981061

where the most useful answer seems to be:

>> The way that I always programmatically detect what versions of the .Net framework are installed is to look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP ... the sub-folders indicate installed versions.

but checking this doesn't help. I am getting a different number of repeats on two different virtual machines, which are using the same solution (but different versions in time), and they are both giving the same number of sub-folders in the registry for installed versions.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 17 2020 : 05:55:20 AM
I might be onto something (or not). I was looking for instances of System.Windows.Forms assemblies on my computer, and I found 6 versions. That might be now an coincidence that I see methods in System.Windows.Forms classes appear 6 times, but strange it seems.
Same works for the EntityFramework library.
Could it be that VA shows ALL existing versions of the assemblies it found in the GAC?
Uniwares Posted - Nov 16 2020 : 2:31:29 PM
As for the Interfaces, well, there is no inheritance of object, the object should appear only where an inheritance is actually possible. Even an interface with default implementations doesnt really inherit from object.
feline Posted - Nov 16 2020 : 1:26:01 PM
I am seeing different numbers of repeats in different versions of the IDE as well. Something is driving this, but I am not sure what.

I didn't check a class derived from form, but doing so, as you say, different numbers of duplicates. This just gets more strange.

At least I can answer the question of all interfaces being shown derived from Object. VA View is not trying to show you a proper inheritance graph, instead it is aiming to just show you a list of all of the inherited classes, without showing or explaining their exact relationship with each other.
feline Posted - Nov 16 2020 : 1:13:01 PM
Seeing the same thing here, but so far no idea where the duplicates are coming from:

case=143096
Uniwares Posted - Nov 16 2020 : 10:28:05 AM
Visualization is consistent between VS 16.9.0 Preview 1.0 and 16.8.1
Uniwares Posted - Nov 16 2020 : 10:03:14 AM
Now looking at another solution, one quite large C# 8.0 project, some smaller C# projects, there are some weird things showing up:
A class derived from DbContext (EntityFramework) shows a mess:
* some overridden methods show twice
* some properties appear twice, once with the full definition in the EntityFramework base, the other as written in the class
* interestingly, the EntityFramework classes all show up correctly, each member as it should

There is a interface though that shows up twice, not sure if thats correct:
one is
Microsoft.EntityFramworkCore.InfraStructure.IInfrastructure
and the other is
IInfrastructure<IServiceProvider>
yet both refer to the same interface.

Also, all interfaces are shown to derive from Object, not sure if thats really correct or even useful here, see also https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3236305/do-interfaces-derive-from-system-object-c-sharp-spec-says-yes-eric-says-no-re
Uniwares Posted - Nov 16 2020 : 09:23:40 AM
Looking at a class derived from System.Windows.Forms, I see the following:
* methods implemented in the Forms class are repeated 3 times
* events and delegates in this class show only once
* properties and other variables once too.
* some of its base classes show with members 3 times repeated, others 6 times
* methods from interfaces are either 1, 2, 3 or 6 times repeated

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000