Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA 2393 - IntelliSense boxes in text editor

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mike Posted - Nov 14 2020 : 12:37:07 PM
The IDE IntelliSense boxes that display when hovering on variables, functions etc. on the right hand side of the screen are running beyond the screen limits on my laptop. Sometimes the box displays correctly for a frame or two before shitfing right into a new position and remaining there. Much/most of the text within disappears beyond the screen edge rendering the box largely useless.

Disabling Visual Assist cures this problem and the IDE displays the same box with its right edge correctly aligned to the screen edge.

This problem was present in build 2389 and remains in build 2393.

This is happening with Visual Studio 2015 Professional on Windows 10 Home with a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 (and no windows zoom enabled). Screens attached. The second screen (with the _IDE suffix) was taken with Visual Assist disabled from the menu and shows the correct behaviour.

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 16 2020 : 09:29:38 AM
Thank you for the update. This makes a degree of sense, since the tooltip can shift to make sure that both the tooltip and the VA quick action floating button both display near the caret.

Now I know what to look for, I am seeing the same problem here:

case=143094

monitor resolution doesn't seem to matter, its just easier to end up encountering this problem with a lower screen resolution.
Mike Posted - Nov 14 2020 : 1:34:01 PM
Update: I've discovered that the problem is linked to "Show floating button for Quick Actions and Refactoring". Disabling that in VA stops the problem completely.
Mike Posted - Nov 14 2020 : 1:13:12 PM
Hi Chris,

This happens almost all of the time for any box that's wide enough to need clipping to the screen boundary. I also thought it strange that it only occurs with VA enabled.

I'm not sure if it's related to my limited screen space. I don't have access to my external displays just at the moment to check behaviour at higher resolutions. If that situation changes I'll update here with my findings. I don't recall seeing it before at 1920x1080 or better, but I haven't done any coding for a few months so I really don't remember.

If it's a Microsoft problem then I guess I'll have to live with it anyway given the lack of support for 2015 now.
ChrisG Posted - Nov 14 2020 : 12:40:47 PM
I am sorry you are having this issue. I remember we reported a very similar issue to Microsoft for VS 2019 and they fixed it. I suppose upgrading might not be an option. Can you reproduce it fairly reliably? It is interesting and unexpected that the issue goes away when you disable Visual Assist.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000