Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA 2393: minor UI glitch in VA Step Filter

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Nov 06 2020 : 07:25:12 AM
The "Delete" button is kinda halfways off

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 10 2020 : 1:25:38 PM
Agreed. It reads like the Winaero setting is playing with the Windows 10 theme settings, but VS2019, along with various other programs, doesn't really care about or respond to the Windows 10 theme settings.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 10 2020 : 12:47:00 PM
weird stuff
feline Posted - Nov 10 2020 : 12:05:36 PM
That was the trigger. Specifically the setting:

Appearance -> Colored Title Bars -> Enable Colored Title Bars

case=143071

The problem does not show up if you turn on coloured title bars the "normal" way.

Right click on the desktop -> Personalise -> Colors (on the left hand bar) -> Show the accent colour on the following surfaces -> Title bars and window borders = On
Uniwares Posted - Nov 10 2020 : 10:56:05 AM
Winaero tweaks doesnt seem to be it either, reset all the settings to default windows, but continues with the UI glitch.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 10 2020 : 09:37:50 AM
After I started with the new profile, VA wasnt even on the list of installed extensions, so I tried installing it from the VA setup, was told it is already installed in all instances. Also tried importing it with the extension manager, no avail.
Downloaded the 2389 installer and it installed without complaints and then appeared in the new profile too.

I used Winaero tweaker to turn off a few windows annoyances, one of them actually might have an effect on control display. http://winaero.com

You can save the following settings as .ini file and import it in the app, so you have the same settings.

[Format]
ProductName=Winaero Tweaker
ProductVersion=0.16.1.0
FormatVersion=1.1
[User]
pageColoredTitlebars=1
pageAdsUnwantedApps=1
pageDisableLookInStore=1
pageDisableSafeZoneInformation=1
pageErrorReporting=1
pageLoginScreenBlur=1
pageDisableLiveTiles=1
pageDisableDriverUpdates10=1
pagePaintDesktopVersion=1
pageContextMenuCmdAsAdmin=1
pageContextMenuSettings=1
pageDisableWindowsInk=1
pageDisableTelemetry=1
[pageAdsUnwantedApps]
UnwantedAppsDisabled=1
FileExplorerAdsDisabled=0
LockScreenAdsDisabled=0
StartSuggestionsDisabled=1
TipsAboutWindowsDisabled=0
WelcomePageDisabled=0
SettingsAdsDisabled=1
PeopleAdsDisabled=0
TimelineSuggestionsDisabled=0
[pageContextMenuCmdAsAdmin]
contextMenuTitle=Command Prompt (Administrator)
Extended=0

feline Posted - Nov 10 2020 : 09:33:41 AM
A random thought, did you have the text editor zoom set to 120% when you exported your settings? I only ask since this isn't being changed from 100% to 120% for me when importing your IDE settings. Zoom is a very "small" setting, something you are likely to adjust as you go along, so I can see it not being exported, I am just wondering if there might be some other "small" IDE setting not being exported...

Something else to prod.
feline Posted - Nov 10 2020 : 09:27:41 AM
Very strange, both that you can see this in a new profile, and the problem of getting VA working in the profile. How did you try to install VA 2393 into this new test profile? Our installer doesn't install into separate profiles, only the default profile.

Comparing your screen shot with one of my own, the font size of the text "Show built-in filters" and "Delete" is the same, both vertically and horizontally, but there is a 2 pixel vertical offset for "Delete" compared with the rest of the line. So part of the line is shifted for you, but not for me, and it is a position, not a font size or font type problem.

IDE settings don't seem to have any effect here, since importing your IDE settings and an new, default profile don't let us pin this down.

This seems to leave us with Windows settings, or a utility program you are running. I am going to hunt around in the Windows 10 settings, see if I can find anything that might effect this.

Do you remember if you saw this problem with any previous version of VA? I am wondering if this is a new problem, or if its a change.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 10 2020 : 05:21:48 AM
All right, now it gets weird.

Started a new profile with "devenv.exe /RootSuffix TestStepFilter", in this new profile I cant get build 2393 to work. It doesnt show up in the extensions, cant import it, when installing it says already installed in all instances. Had to revert to 2389, which installed and shows up as it should.

Endresult: VA Stepfilter from 2389

feline Posted - Nov 09 2020 : 2:19:17 PM
Thank you for this, I have the settings. I have tried these settings on two different machines, with and without the list of extensions I have from you, and I still cannot reproduce the problem here.

Can you try a new test profile, and see if, for some strange reason, this is profile specific? I am just not seeing anything that seems to point at a cause for this here.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix TestStepFilter
Uniwares Posted - Nov 09 2020 : 07:00:51 AM
Sent
feline Posted - Nov 09 2020 : 06:44:23 AM
Do you see the same problem in a new, default solution? I expect you will, but it's a quick sanity check.

If you do, can you please try sending me your current settings and list of installed extensions, via the "Extension Manager" extension? Hopefully this will enable me to reproduce this here.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 09 2020 : 04:26:15 AM
Not really, i think there are no special video/layout configurations on my machine here. The fact that its a notebook should not matter.
feline Posted - Nov 06 2020 : 1:29:03 PM
I assume the 120% is coming from the small "zoom" setting in the bottom left hand corner of the editor window? I have now set this to 120%, and have VA 2393 installed, on the VM with your extensions and settings. Still no sign of this offset problem here though.

Can you think of anything that I might be overlooking here?
Uniwares Posted - Nov 06 2020 : 1:17:23 PM
2393, no DPI other 100%, single monitor, no windows settings off, scaling 100%. Using font size 120% in the VS editor window.
feline Posted - Nov 06 2020 : 12:54:02 PM
Odd. VA version is in the title, missed that

Are you working with 100% DPI or a different value on your monitor? Different monitors with different DPI settings?

On the virtual machine with all of your settings and extensions I am running VA 2389 and cannot reproduce this offset. Also no problems on a physical machine with a monitor running at 125% DPI.

So I am not sure where to look for a trigger for this.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000